The Student Room Group

Root hair cells

My biology teacher said that root hair cells take in mineral ions by active transport unless I misheard. I'm confused about this because I thought active transport was from low to high concentrations, so how can mineral ions move into the cell if they are in a higher concentration outside the cell? Which is what I thought based on the picture
Active transport is when particles move from a low concentration to a high concentration (You could say 'against their concentration gradient') by the means of transport proteins, which use energy from respiration. Root hair cells contain transport proteins, which move the mineral ions into the plant. Hope this helps!
There is a higher concentration of minerals in the root hair cell than in the soil, as they keep on removing them out of the soil, and allowing them to accumaulate in the plant.
Original post by Shuphie
My biology teacher said that root hair cells take in mineral ions by active transport unless I misheard. I'm confused about this because I thought active transport was from low to high concentrations, so how can mineral ions move into the cell if they are in a higher concentration outside the cell? Which is what I thought based on the picture
Reply 3
Thank u guys

Quick Reply