The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Chemistry at Bath

Trying to decide between chemistry at Bath or at Bristol. However, I haven't heard much about the course at Bath, and I can't seem to find the detailed course breakdown on their website, it's just a few boxes.

According to the website as well, it is also all compulsory, with no optional modules that people who have different interests can branch out on.

Anyone doing chemistry have any thoughts or advice? Would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by mscully18
I can't seem to find the detailed course breakdown on their website, it's just a few boxes.

Click on the boxes for more info.
If you get an offer, you will get invited to a Visit Day and that has lots of info about the course.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by mscully18
Trying to decide between chemistry at Bath or at Bristol. However, I haven't heard much about the course at Bath, and I can't seem to find the detailed course breakdown on their website, it's just a few boxes.

According to the website as well, it is also all compulsory, with no optional modules that people who have different interests can branch out on.

Anyone doing chemistry have any thoughts or advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mscully18!

We are so pleased you are considering Bath as one of your options for studying Chemistry!

Here at Bath we have a number of different Chemistry courses, and so its definitely worth comparing the various options I know many of the modules on the website state ‘compulsory’, but its important to remember that although the modules themselves may be compulsory, there is generally scope within them (particularly in your final year) for you to tailor your learning and what you focus on, to your interests. However, if you have specific questions about the differences between them which are not answered on our website, then you can contact our Admissions Team on [email protected], who will be happy to give you some more detailed guidance there are equivalent contacts listed on Bristol’s website 😊. If you want to find out more about what its like to study Chemistry at Bath from a student’s perspective, you might find it helpful to chat to Anand one of our current Chemistry students on UniBuddy who will be more than happy to answer any questions you have by instant-messaging, or check out Jemma’s blog post where she talks about some of the things she enjoys about Chemistry at Bath.

If you choose to apply for either or both universities, we would definitely recommend attending an offer-holder or applicant visit day. This will give you the chance to speak to current chemistry students and lecturers, and even attend a sample class or workshop. These are a really great opportunity to find out much more about your specific course than you can get from only going to an open day, which are more course-general.

When choosing between universities, the course and its content is obviously a really important consideration, and so it is definitely worth checking out the course pages of both universities, comparing the modules on each course and considering how they align with your own interests now and for your future career. However there are several other factors to consider, as there is far more to university life than simply studying a course! Here are a couple of other things you may want to keep in mind:

Rankings and reputation? How do your universities compare against others in the country for Chemistry? The complete university guide is a really useful tool to compare universities in the case of chemistry Bath and Bristol are currently very close and both score highly overall, and so I am confident you will have a positive learning experience whichever you choose.

The city? It is important that for at least 2-3 universities you are interested in, to try to visit the city if possible. Check out the nightlife, the shopping options, places to visit and walk, and try to ask yourself whether you can see yourself living there, as this will also have a big influence on your overall university experience.

I hope this is helpful very best of luck in your decision and applications! 😊

Holly
University of Bath

Quick Reply

Latest