The Student Room Group

FM AS Level for Cambridge/LSE/Warwick econ

I'm currently in year 12 and am on good track to getting A*A*A*A* predicted grades in English Lit, Maths, Econ, and EPQ but at the start of the year I didn't know what I wanted to do so I didn't choose further maths (FM). If I somehow do AS level FM in Y13 will I still have a decent chance getting into Cambridge/LSE/Warwick Economics BSc?
Does your school offer Further Maths? If it does then it's going to be a big problem for you to get into LSE/Cambridge (Even with those stellar grades, well done by the way) As they are going to be questioning why you didnt do it in year 12 when you had the opportunity. There's going to be applicants who have already done AS with A*/A or predicted A*/A in FM. You may have a chance if your teacher notes down on your application that you are taking AS FM in year 13 and the rest of your application is really strong. I definitely wouldn't rule you out though and I don't think Warwick is as strict about FM like the other 2 but it still has a lot of offer holders having it. I am also in Year 12 with the similar predictions (replace the eng lit with physics) but because my school didn't offer FM, they actually let me self study it and said they would give me a mock at the end of the year and whatever I get, I'll get predicted that or +1 grade up. Then they said they would pay for my exams. So I would recommend asking your school if you can do something similar only if they don't offer it (won't work if they do as they would probably tell you to do AS year 13 or just no).
Original post by yzven
I'm currently in year 12 and am on good track to getting A*A*A*A* predicted grades in English Lit, Maths, Econ, and EPQ but at the start of the year I didn't know what I wanted to do so I didn't choose further maths (FM). If I somehow do AS level FM in Y13 will I still have a decent chance getting into Cambridge/LSE/Warwick Economics BSc?

Hello year 13 student here. From my understanding I believe you will have a decent chance (if I’m being honest I think just those three subjects alone will be fine). However I do want you to know that those unis are highly competitive as I’m sure you know already so I highly recommend having some safer options. I know a classmate that does Economics, maths and psychology with A stars and he received an LSE offer a few days ago for Economics BSc. With that said you have a very decent chance, I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
Does your school offer Further Maths? If it does then it's going to be a big problem for you to get into LSE/Cambridge (Even with those stellar grades, well done by the way) As they are going to be questioning why you didnt do it in year 12 when you had the opportunity. There's going to be applicants who have already done AS with A*/A or predicted A*/A in FM. You may have a chance if your teacher notes down on your application that you are taking AS FM in year 13 and the rest of your application is really strong. I definitely wouldn't rule you out though and I don't think Warwick is as strict about FM like the other 2 but it still has a lot of offer holders having it. I am also in Year 12 with the similar predictions (replace the eng lit with physics) but because my school didn't offer FM, they actually let me self study it and said they would give me a mock at the end of the year and whatever I get, I'll get predicted that or +1 grade up. Then they said they would pay for my exams. So I would recommend asking your school if you can do something similar only if they don't offer it (won't work if they do as they would probably tell you to do AS year 13 or just no).

Firstly, yes my sixth form does offer FM however as I mentioned it was too late when I decided I wanted to do economics at uni. When I asked to do FM in about October they rightfully said no. Anyhow, thanks for the reply, I do have a question. How do you self teach FM and are you doing it to A or AS level as I may need to do this over summer/in Y13.
Typically if FM was available as a subject, it's required by Cambridge and LSE's economics courses. You can always take your chances and still apply anyway, though I would say you probably have quite an outside chance of getting an offer - even with AS FM. I certainly wouldn't bank on an offer for these two without AL FM. You stand a solid chance with Warwick and UCL though, which are still great.
Original post by yzven
Firstly, yes my sixth form does offer FM however as I mentioned it was too late when I decided I wanted to do economics at uni. When I asked to do FM in about October they rightfully said no. Anyhow, thanks for the reply, I do have a question. How do you self teach FM and are you doing it to A or AS level as I may need to do this over summer/in Y13.

Just ASMP Maths videos and the usual revision techniques. I replied to someone in a thread recently on TSR and they got rejected from Warwick due to their academics despite getting A*A*A and a strong GCSE profile which means it was probably because of the lack of FM despite them currently AS FM in year 13. It's your choice if you want to take the risk but based upon the information you have told me it's likely you are going to get rejected from LSE/Cambridge simply because your school offers FM and you didn't take it.
Reply 6
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
Just ASMP Maths videos and the usual revision techniques. I replied to someone in a thread recently on TSR and they got rejected from Warwick due to their academics despite getting A*A*A and a strong GCSE profile which means it was probably because of the lack of FM despite them currently AS FM in year 13. It's your choice if you want to take the risk but based upon the information you have told me it's likely you are going to get rejected from LSE/Cambridge simply because your school offers FM and you didn't take it.

Thanks for your responses, so do you think AS FM would be enough or would LSE/Cambridge etc require A-Level FM. Essentially, is there a major difference?
Original post by yzven
Thanks for your responses, so do you think AS FM would be enough or would LSE/Cambridge etc require A-Level FM. Essentially, is there a major difference?

Yes there's a major difference. Having AS FM might help to not get rejected from places like Warwick and UCL, but the full a-level is a requirement for Cambridge and LSE if your school offers it. Plus, these courses use the content from the a-level straight away, so it's not just about getting an offer, you also need the a-level to make sure you're not starting off on the back foot on these courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending