The Student Room Group

how do i self teach alevel chemistry?

how do i self teach alevel chemistry? what resources can i use. how hard is it. is it possible to get an A* and how much work would it require.
what makes alevel chemistry hard
Hi, I'm currently in yr 13 and I've gotta say, I don't think that you would be able to get an A* in chemistry from only teaching yourself. There *will* be moments where you need someone who knows what they're doing to clear things up for you as some (albeit not a huge amount) of the content is conceptually tricky.
Not to mention that the required practical stuff that you do in class is really useful for paper 3 and I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn all of the content having not done any of the exps in person. The only thing I would say is that a lot of chemistry questions are basically recycled so it would be easy enough to learn quite a bit of the content from just doing PPQs, but only to a certain extent.

I'm not trying to doubt your abilities, I am just being realistic- maybe consider joining an open course or getting a tutor if these are options for you.:smile:
Original post by Naomi's_trying!
Hi, I'm currently in yr 13 and I've gotta say, I don't think that you would be able to get an A* in chemistry from only teaching yourself. There *will* be moments where you need someone who knows what they're doing to clear things up for you as some (albeit not a huge amount) of the content is conceptually tricky.
Not to mention that the required practical stuff that you do in class is really useful for paper 3 and I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn all of the content having not done any of the exps in person. The only thing I would say is that a lot of chemistry questions are basically recycled so it would be easy enough to learn quite a bit of the content from just doing PPQs, but only to a certain extent.

I'm not trying to doubt your abilities, I am just being realistic- maybe consider joining an open course or getting a tutor if these are options for you.:smile:

As for resources, try Goalby notes, youtube, PMT & StudyMind
Original post by ramz89
how do i self teach alevel chemistry? what resources can i use. how hard is it. is it possible to get an A* and how much work would it require.
what makes alevel chemistry hard

Whether A level chemistry is hard or not depends on the person. Someone who has a natural aptitude for chemistry or really enjoys chemistry will find the motivation to excel and won’t have too much of a problem with it.

As for self-teaching it, I summarised my best advice elsewhere on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest