The Student Room Group

Uni Courses

hi, I am currently in year 13 and was hoping to apply to finance courses but for Cambridge uni, I was thinking of applying for their economics course, would I have to apply to economics course for other unis aswell? also I don't study economics alevel (my alevels are: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) would that have an effect?
You do not have to apply to any other universities if you don't want to. You also are not required to apply for the same course.
Economics at A level is a joke subject and it is not required to study economics at university.
Not having economics at A-level isn't an issue. You will need to convince them you actually want to study economics through your personal statement though, not finance. Whether your other options would have an issue with an economics PS for a finance course may vary.
Reply 3
Original post by 300percent
You do not have to apply to any other universities if you don't want to. You also are not required to apply for the same course.
Economics at A level is a joke subject and it is not required to study economics at university.

Oh i see, thank you. If I had to do the entrance exam for economics, would I have to learn some of the level economics info
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Not having economics at A-level isn't an issue. You will need to convince them you actually want to study economics through your personal statement though, not finance. Whether your other options would have an issue with an economics PS for a finance course may vary.

Okay, do all unis not require alevel economics and is it possible to submit two different PS? Also, do you have any ideas of how to convince them as of not choosing it for alevels.
Original post by helloo7
Okay, do all unis not require alevel economics and is it possible to submit two different PS? Also, do you have any ideas of how to convince them as of not choosing it for alevels.

I'm not aware of any economics degrees that require A-level Economics. You don't need to "convince them" due to not doing it A-level, you just need to convince them you want to study it now through relevant wider reading and engagement with the subject. You should probably remember that economics is not a degree in "investment banking" as well - much of the subject is completely unrelated to finance both academically and as a profession.

Cambridge has the option to submit an optional additional statement in the SAQ, although most universities do not permit this. However a completely unrelated PS for a very competitive course with only a relevant additional statement (particularly as it's a mainstream subject) might be an issue at Cambridge too, possibly.
Reply 6
I'm not aware of any economics degrees that require A-level Economics. You don't need to "convince them" due to not doing it A-level, you just need to convince them you want to study it now through relevant wider reading and engagement with the subject. You should probably remember that economics is not a degree in "investment banking" as well - much of the subject is completely unrelated to finance both academically and as a profession.

Cambridge has the option to submit an optional additional statement in the SAQ, although most universities do not permit this. However a completely unrelated PS for a very competitive course with only a relevant additional statement (particularly as it's a mainstream subject) might be an issue at Cambridge too, possibly.

That makes more sense, thank you. Do you know which careers an economics degree would lead to or be an advantage for?
Original post by helloo7
That makes more sense, thank you. Do you know which careers an economics degree would lead to or be an advantage for?

Same as any other degree, plus some economics specific roles e.g. the government economic service, diplomatic service economics track, and potentially economic policy roles in NGOs and central banks (although that might tend towards people with PhDs).
Original post by helloo7
hi, I am currently in year 13 and was hoping to apply to finance courses but for Cambridge uni, I was thinking of applying for their economics course, would I have to apply to economics course for other unis aswell? also I don't study economics alevel (my alevels are: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry) would that have an effect?

Heya!
It should be fine but double check the entry requirements :h: Usually economics courses need maths alvl, having economics alvl isn't a must. You can research more about economics careers using prospects.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 9
Same as any other degree, plus some economics specific roles e.g. the government economic service, diplomatic service economics track, and potentially economic policy roles in NGOs and central banks (although that might tend towards people with PhDs).

That's great, thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
It should be fine but double check the entry requirements :h: Usually economics courses need maths alvl, having economics alvl isn't a must. You can research more about economics careers using prospects.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks so much for letting me know, I'll have a look. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest