The Student Room Group

wage comparisons (tesco vs tgi)

hello! i've recently been offered 2 interviews at different places; one at Tesco and one at TGI Fridays. for context, i'm 17.

the job i applied for at tesco was listed as Tesco Colleague and the job at TGI was a Host, but when they called said i could interview for a Server instead, if i wanted.

neither state how much i would get per hour on their listings or websites. i know there's the bonus of tips if i got the serving job at TGI, but if anyone knows the typical fixed rates for the Tesco Colleague and TGI Host jobs for 17 year olds that would be great. thanks!
Original post by kyl3_
hello! i've recently been offered 2 interviews at different places; one at Tesco and one at TGI Fridays. for context, i'm 17.

the job i applied for at tesco was listed as Tesco Colleague and the job at TGI was a Host, but when they called said i could interview for a Server instead, if i wanted.

neither state how much i would get per hour on their listings or websites. i know there's the bonus of tips if i got the serving job at TGI, but if anyone knows the typical fixed rates for the Tesco Colleague and TGI Host jobs for 17 year olds that would be great. thanks!

Tesco pays all the staff the same rate of pay per hour. £11 p per hour .

How much does TGI Fridays pay 16 year olds UK ( I wouldn't imagine it much more for a 17 year old).

The average pay for 16 year olds at TGI Fridays is between £6.56 and £10.00 per hour.
Reply 2
Original post by Littleemma98
Tesco pays all the staff the same rate of pay per hour. £11 p per hour .

How much does TGI Fridays pay 16 year olds UK ( I wouldn't imagine it much more for a 17 year old).

The average pay for 16 year olds at TGI Fridays is between £6.56 and £10.00 per hour.

£11?! that seems really high lmao. thanks for the info
Reply 3
how did you get interviewed for both pls
Original post by kyl3_
£11?! that seems really high lmao. thanks for the info
Reply 4
Original post by jennnnnaaaa
how did you get interviewed for both pls

for tgi's i just submitted my cv and wrote some waffle on my personal statement. i put that if the position i applied for was unavailable, then i would also be a good fit for any other roles going. i wasn't really bothered about the tgi application because i got rejected from there earlier this year, i think it's mostly down to luck.

tesco is harder bc their little screening quiz bc some of the answers that seem really obviously right are wrong. i honestly just looked up tips on how to pass it (someone mentioned that you have to answer according to customers being number 1 priority, teamwork e.g. helping other colleagues at number 2, and your own work last, which seems to work bc i passed the quiz.) once i did the quiz, they asked for proof of right to work and set up an interview after about a week.

Quick Reply