The Student Room Group

Spanish A level IRP/grammar

One of the lines I am going to use in my IRP is:
Ademas, en 2021, un tercio de los festejos taurinos fueron/estaban las corridas de toros.
I am wondering if anyone knows whether it should be fueron or estaban? I know the sentence suggests it would be estaban as it was ongoing in the past but any online translator comes out with fueron.
Muchas gracias :smile:
Original post by avocadocherry
Ademas, en 2021, un tercio de los festejos taurinos fueron/estaban las corridas de toros.
I am wondering if anyone knows whether it should be fueron or estaban? I know the sentence suggests it would be estaban as it was ongoing in the past but any online translator comes out with fueron.

In this case, "estaban" would be the more appropriate verb form to use because you are referring to an ongoing event in the past. "Fueron" is the past tense of the verb "ser" or "ir", and it is not suitable in this context. So, the correct sentence would be "Además, en 2021, un tercio de los festejos taurinos estaban las corridas de toros."

First of all, you are confusing two verbs: ser and estar. Fueron is the perfect tense of ser and the imperfect conjugation of that would be eran, not estaban. So your question should be ''do I use fueron/eran'' instead, because fueron/estaban is mixing and matching two different verbs. Now, in this context the verb estar makes no sense, as this verb is generally used to describe locations and conditions. When you say a third of the bull-related festivites were the bull runs you have to use a conjugation of the verb ser in Spanish, not estar, so right off the bat we can discount estaban as that makes no grammatical sense in this case.

I don't often trust online translators such as google translate but in this case it is correct, the required form is indeed fueron. It's not as simple as always using the imperfect for a repeated action in the past. In this sentence you are talking about 2021, so in this context it functions as one precise moment in the past and therefore it must take fueron and not eran.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Curious_Bilawi
In this case, "estaban" would be the more appropriate verb form to use because you are referring to an ongoing event in the past. "Fueron" is the past tense of the verb "ser" or "ir", and it is not suitable in this context. So, the correct sentence would be "Además, en 2021, un tercio de los festejos taurinos estaban las corridas de toros."

This isn't correct and makes no grammatical sense. You could only utilise estaban if you're referencing the location the bull runs were taking place in. Such as ''las corridas de toros estaban en Pamplona.'' But when you're saying something is something else, and that something else is a noun, then it uses ser, not estar. And to confirm which verb we'd use we can think of how we would conjugate this in the present: we would say ''un tercio de los festejos taurinos son las corridas de toros.'' It would make no grammatical sense to say ''un tercio de los festejos taurinos están las corridas de toros.'' And if it takes ser in the present then the same sentence must also take a form of ser in all its other tenses.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Fueron is the correct word to use in this case!!

Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
First of all, you are confusing two verbs: ser and estar. Fueron is the perfect tense of ser and the imperfect conjugation of that would be eran, not estaban. So your question should be ''do I use fueron/eran'' instead, because fueron/estaban is mixing and matching two different verbs. Now, in this context the verb estar makes no sense, as this verb is generally used to describe locations and conditions. When you say a third of the bull-related festivites were the bull runs you have to use a conjugation of the verb ser in Spanish, not estar, so right off the bat we can discount estaban as that makes no grammatical sense in this case.

I don't often trust online translators such as google translate but in this case it is correct, the required form is indeed fueron. It's not as simple as always using the imperfect for a repeated action in the past. In this sentence you are talking about 2021, so in this context it functions as one precise moment in the past and therefore it must take fueron and not eran.

thank you for the help!! :smile:
thank you for the help!! :smile:

¡No hay de qué!

Quick Reply