The Student Room Group

What are the top things I can put on my university application

I am in Y12 and university applications are being introduced to us.

I am interested in doing a STEM course to do with Computing and/or engineering.

I would like to max out my application to have the best chance of getting into the top universities (imperial, oxford, Cambridge, edinburgh ...etc)

What are tasks, experiences, courses I could take/do to have a really good application.

I have heard about supercurriculars please could more suggestions be made.

Thank you
Original post by L1NKSK1

I would like to max out my application to have the best chance of getting into the top universities (imperial, oxford, Cambridge, edinburgh ...etc)

What are tasks, experiences, courses I could take/do to have a really good application.

Thank you

Hello. Year 12 here also :smile:

i haven't done a uni applicitation yet but here's what I'm probs going to put down:
-extracurriculars
-any part time jobs you may have
-voltuneering
-if you're doing an epq.you could put that
Original post by L1NKSK1

Thank you

The top thing: research the details of the course content of the courses you’re interested in at each university and decide exactly what you want to study.
Links posted higher up the thread by McGinger are great. Otherwise, you need to show yorself an enthiusaiast for the subject you are applying to (so research content of degrees and apply for things you do actually want to study!) When we look at applications we're impressed if someone has done a bit of research on course content, done some wider reading or anything outside just going to school and doing the set work. Did a topic in school inspire you to do your own research, have you read current books about the topic and so on. A subject enthusiast will be fluent at an interview (if there is one) and should be a good student!
Original post by L1NKSK1

Thank you

The first thing you should do is look at the course structure and modules for your course at different unis. They vary a bit from uni to uni, and going to a 'top' uni isn't going to be worth it if you're miserable. Secondly, you should look for supercurriculars - extracurricular activities related to your subject of interest. Try not to make your PS generic and wordy - be clear and concise.

Note: Do not post your PS anywhere online. If you do, it may be cached by Google and UCAS, and when you submit your PS, it'll get flagged for plagiarism.
Original post by Bangor Rep
Links posted higher up the thread by McGinger are great. Otherwise, you need to show yourself an enthusiast for the subject you are applying to (so research content of degrees and apply for things you do actually want to study!) When we look at applications we're impressed if someone has done a bit of research on course content, done some wider reading or anything outside just going to school and doing the set work. Did a topic in school inspire you to do your own research, have you read current books about the topic and so on. A subject enthusiast will be fluent at an interview (if there is one) and should be a good student!

typos corrected!
Original post by L1NKSK1

Thank you

Hi there,

It’s great to hear you want to get involved in more stem curriculars. I would recommend having a look at some projects you could be involved during the summer such as the Nuffield research project, In2science programme or summer schooling which could boost your knowledge and application. It may be a good idea to look into some work experience too! It doesn’t have to be super specific to your degree but any sort of extracurricular is attractive to universities.

Here are some links to look at:
https://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/students-teachers/nuffield-research-placements
https://in2scienceuk.org/
https://www.studentladder.co.uk/year-12/work-experience-opportunities/science-5/

Universities like students with a genuine interest in what they are planning to study. You may be invited to interview so I would recommend doing some reading around your subject, look at a case study etc., to have something to talk about.

When applying you will need to write a personal statement where you can really show your dedication to your subject. Write about what you read, what you’ve learnt and experienced and show you have gone beyond you’re a-levels.

Wishing you all the luck with your application!
- Sophie (Uni of Bath)
Reply 8
Thanks all and future submissions
Reply 9
Original post by L1NKSK1

Thank you

Try looking for some short term internships or online placements that you could do to show off your passion/interest in the field. Talk about books you've read about the field, lectures you watch. (For context, I'm an architecture student at Edi and included online work placements for an architecture and engineering firm and talked about an architect whose work and lectures I liked).
If you're doing an EPQ, that would be helpful to talk about in your personal statement. Always stay concise and relevant in your PS!
Reply 10
Original post by L1NKSK1

Thank you

I wouldn;t suggest any of these universities for Engineering.
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79

isn't imperial best known for engineering?
Reply 12
Original post by Rainyzack
isn't imperial best known for engineering?

No, not if you want to be well-supported in the course.
Reply 13

Where would you suggest?
Reply 14
Original post by L1NKSK1
Where would you suggest?

Which type of Engineering are you looking at?
Reply 15
Which type of Engineering are you looking at?

EEE or EIE 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest