The Student Room Group

British citizen returning to the UK from USA

Hi I’m a British citizen / national born and lived in UK since birth who moved with my family to the USA as a dependent work visa as my dad ( British citizen/ national ) got a job here . I had to move as I was under 18 and unable to stay behind in the uk on my own . We still have the family home / bank accounts in the UK and I have a national insurance number so have not abandoned ties with the UK . My mum ( British national/ citizen) is on a career break from her UK employer ( so still employed in the UK )
I intend to return back to the uk in June 2023 after graduating from high school here.
So I will have been out of the UK for just over a year . I will be taking a gap year to work whilst living in the UK on my return and am hoping to apply to Unis to start a degree in Sept 2024
I have 2 questions if anyone can give some direction / guidance
1. Will I qualify as a home student for university fee purposes or international?
Even if I’ve only been away from the UK a year on a temporary basis.
2. If I do qualify as a home student will I be able to apply for student finance ?
Will the year spent in the US cancel out after I return and take a gap year whilst living in the UK.
Thanks
Original post by fari_27
Hi I’m a British citizen / national born and lived in UK since birth who moved with my family to the USA as a dependent work visa as my dad ( British citizen/ national ) got a job here . I had to move as I was under 18 and unable to stay behind in the uk on my own . We still have the family home / bank accounts in the UK and I have a national insurance number so have not abandoned ties with the UK . My mum ( British national/ citizen) is on a career break from her UK employer ( so still employed in the UK )
I intend to return back to the uk in June 2023 after graduating from high school here.
So I will have been out of the UK for just over a year . I will be taking a gap year to work whilst living in the UK on my return and am hoping to apply to Unis to start a degree in Sept 2024
I have 2 questions if anyone can give some direction / guidance
1. Will I qualify as a home student for university fee purposes or international?
Even if I’ve only been away from the UK a year on a temporary basis.
2. If I do qualify as a home student will I be able to apply for student finance ?
Will the year spent in the US cancel out after I return and take a gap year whilst living in the UK.
Thanks

Hi there, Our 24/25 academic year applications and guidelines won't launch until around March 2024. You would need to submit your application for funding when they launch for the team to review your eligibility for funding. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending