The Student Room Group

Durham or UCL for Law LLB?

This is gonna be a long, detailed post. Pls, bear with me.

So I recently got an offer for Law from Durham and have an application pending for LSE and UCL. I'm hopeful of getting into LSE (in which case this qs would be a moot point, I'd def pick LSE) but when it comes to UCL v Durham I'm not too sure. I want to pursue a job in the MC/SC if possible, so career prospects are really my top priority. I'm not too pushed about intl rep (in the US/EU/Asia) since I don't plan on living or working there. Just domestic prestige. I'll also clarify from the get-go that I prefer the atmosphere of Durham...it just seems more relaxed (pretty city, friendlier etc and plus not so cosmopolitan/intl etc), however, I'd easily let that go if UCL offers an advantage over Durham (lived in London so I don't mind it etc).

Would appreciate help w a few qs:
1. How much more expensive is UCL compared to Durham? Rent, food and transport, etc included, would the diff b/w UCL and Durham be pretty vast? I'm frugal w finances so I only want to spend the extra ££ if it's really worth the difference.

2. How much of a difference is there in prestige b/w the two? I've always had a rather dim view of UCL Law compared to Durham but it seems many ppl take the opposite view. Is there a tangible and remarkable difference?

3. Why is it that Durham seems to outperform UCL on the Magic Circle/Law City firms graphs w more graduates getting TCs? Is the data just plainly outdated now or is there something else at play?

4. I suppose UCL offers an advantage with access to mini-pupilages, law events etc compared to Durham. Would that be a fair assumption?

Would really appreciate some insight into this, as I am absolutely torn about this decision and it's doing my head in. If I've got any more qs I'll drop them below. Thanks :smile:
1.) You’re worried about living costs between the two cities but said you firm LSE which is in London?

2.) There is zero difference. No one outside of TSR cares about prestige

3.) Ignore the data. They are both top unis

4.) UCL offers no advantage purely because it is a London uni.

LSE, is no better than Durham or UCL. I don’t know what makes you think that LSE is definitively clear?

Only think to consider here is location. Do you want to live in Durham or London for the next 3 years. There is a massive difference between the two places as I’m sure you already know.
Reply 2
Original post by LawStudent456
1.) You’re worried about living costs between the two cities but said you firm LSE which is in London?

2.) There is zero difference. No one outside of TSR cares about prestige

3.) Ignore the data. They are both top unis

4.) UCL offers no advantage purely because it is a London uni.

LSE, is no better than Durham or UCL. I don’t know what makes you think that LSE is definitively clear?

Only think to consider here is location. Do you want to live in Durham or London for the next 3 years. There is a massive difference between the two places as I’m sure you already know.

Hi. Thanks for the response.

1. I probably would, mostly because from what I’ve asked around/read about, LSE seems to confer an advantage over UCL/Durham that would justify the extra costs. Ive always thought of it as Oxbridge, then LSE,
and then Durham/UCL etc. Also, from what I could gather, accommodation is cheaper at LSE who offer 30 week contracts as well so it’s not that vast a difference compared to UCL.

Would you seriously say that LSE is no better than the others? I’ve legit heard of people (and know some too) who’ve actually turned down Oxbridge for LSE, so it’s always seemed to me to be in a tier of its own as Britains third best uni.

Personally, I’m not a huge London fan (partly bcs I’ve been raised there so I kinda want a diff environment) and I do feel that Durham offers a fuller, more wholesome uni experience compared to UCL/LSE which feel a lot colder. Thanks for the insight!
Yes I do seriously think that. Zero difference between any of these 3 unis.
I’d accept Durham if you get an offer as that is clearly your preference

Quick Reply

Latest