The Student Room Group

Should I study higher German if i want a STEM job?

Ok so I have just chosen my GCSE’s. I have swayed towards STEM subjects within my options. I thought this would give me Architecture links but keep me open for other STEM jobs. I definitely want to go into STEM somehow so I chose the ones that were in this category.

The main ones are:
-English Lang
-English Lit
-Maths

For my Science I did triple as I want to go into a STEM job so I get GCSE’s in:
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics

My choices are:
-Computer Science
-3D-Design ( designing, 3D drawing, CAD/CAM, 3D-printing )
-History ( blocks didn’t allow for Geography, i am trying to push to get it but if i did A-level Geography the only criteria to get on the course is a humanity GCSE, so i could jump to Geography)

Then my final subject is German, I was put on EBACC so I have to do it as a GCSE. I really like German so I am considering doing it at A-level I am just not sure if if links to Architecture enough. I really like it but I can’t decide if I should get a degree. I could major in Architecture, Minor in German, or study Architecture in Germany ( they offer English courses). So I am looking for advise about this, If i want to go into a STEM job can i study German at a higher level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonlight:)
Then my final subject is German, I was put on EBACC so I have to do it as a GCSE. I really like German so I am considering doing it at A-level I am just not sure if if links to Architecture enough. I really like it but I can’t decide if I should get a degree. I could major in Architecture, Minor in German, or study Architecture in Germany ( they offer English courses). So I am looking for advise about this, If i want to go into a STEM job can i study German at a higher level?

Are you confusing architecture with engineering? Architecture is not a traditional STEM subject. It is essentially a design degree - that's why a portfolio of creative work is required during the application process. Only 4/5 unis request specific subjects for architecture so German A level is fine.

Architecture is a full-time course in the UK with no optional modules so you wouldn't be able to take German with it (the terms major and minor aren't used in the UK). To practise as an architect in the UK you need to register with the ARB having taken an ARB/RIBA accredited/validated course. You would need to be certain that any overseas degree meets the standards required if you wanted to work in the UK.

https://arb.org.uk/international-routes/registration-routes-graphic/

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/international-validated-schools
Original post by normaw
Are you confusing architecture with engineering? Architecture is not a traditional STEM subject. It is essentially a design degree - that's why a portfolio of creative work is required during the application process. Only 4/5 unis request specific subjects for architecture so German A level is fine.

Architecture is a full-time course in the UK with no optional modules so you wouldn't be able to take German with it (the terms major and minor aren't used in the UK). To practise as an architect in the UK you need to register with the ARB having taken an ARB/RIBA accredited/validated course. You would need to be certain that any overseas degree meets the standards required if you wanted to work in the UK.

https://arb.org.uk/international-routes/registration-routes-graphic/

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/international-validated-schools

I get that Architecture isn’t traditionally STEM, but it foes have Maths and Technology elements. I chose Architecture because I like Maths, and I like drawing. Engineering is more machine design, but I am still considering it. It is good that a German. A-level would work, so I’ll study German to that level. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
If i want to go into a STEM job can i study German at a higher level?

Yes.

GCSEs and Alevels will not stop you from getting an STEM job. Just make sure your other alevels are stem though in a relevant subject cos you’ll need the stem degree to getting onto an stem course at uni and stem job.

Btw why would you want to get into an STEM after doing an architecture and german degree? Makes no sense. Eg if you want to be a chemist or engineer, you can’t do that with an architecture degree - you’ll need an stem degree for an stem job
Original post by boulderingislife
Yes.

GCSEs and Alevels will not stop you from getting an STEM job. Just make sure your other alevels are stem though in a relevant subject cos you’ll need the stem degree to getting onto an stem course at uni and stem job.

Btw why would you want to get into an STEM after doing an architecture and german degree? Makes no sense. Eg if you want to be a chemist or engineer, you can’t do that with an architecture degree - you’ll need an stem degree for an stem job

I mean I want to be an Architect, as I like Maths and I am good at drawing. Currently I definitely want to do Architecture but I want to allow myself to go into STEM as a back up. My general plan is to get the GCSE ‘s I have listed. Then do a Graphics (or 3D-Design) A-level , Maths at A-level, another undecided subject (German, Geography, or Physics, and possibly Further Maths. Then I will hopefully get good grades and get qualified at Bath University. Until my GCSE’s are done I will try to keep STEM open but as things stand Architecture is my main career idea.
I get that Architecture isn’t traditionally STEM, but it foes have Maths and Technology elements. I chose Architecture because I like Maths, and I like drawing. Engineering is more machine design, but I am still considering it. It is good that a German. A-level would work, so I’ll study German to that level. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:

The maths in an architecture course is GCSE level so it might not live up to your expectations. Perhaps courses like the following two examples might suit your interests more:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-and-architectural-design-meng

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/a248/architectural-engineering-beng
Original post by normaw
The maths in an architecture course is GCSE level so it might not live up to your expectations. Perhaps courses like the following two examples might suit your interests more:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/engineering-and-architectural-design-meng

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/a248/architectural-engineering-beng

These look like really good courses! Architectural-Engineering looks more suitable for me. I really like Maths, in my classes not many people do, so this career
would be more enjoyable. Would a Maths, Further maths, 3D-Design (maybe Graphics if my school doesn’t offer this) and another subject Geography or Physics A-level be suitable?
I mean I want to be an Architect, as I like Maths and I am good at drawing. Currently I definitely want to do Architecture but I want to allow myself to go into STEM as a back up. My general plan is to get the GCSE ‘s I have listed. Then do a Graphics (or 3D-Design) A-level , Maths at A-level, another undecided subject (German, Geography, or Physics, and possibly Further Maths. Then I will hopefully get good grades and get qualified at Bath University. Until my GCSE’s are done I will try to keep STEM open but as things stand Architecture is my main career idea.

My sister did architecture. There isn’t really any proper maths in it beyond adding and subtracting numbers.

i’d go with alevels in: german, maths, graphics and physics (or another science if you prefer). With those you’ll get to keep your passion for german, keep door open for architecture and STEM.

remember two years is a long time
and during your alevels or indeed after you might change your mind about what you want to do in uni, so keeping doors open is the best. I wouldn’t bother with further maths as it doesn’t open any additional doors tbh, and it’ll restrict career options ie you’d have to
give up german, graphic design or physics for it and doing that will mean you restrict your options, or lose out on a passion for german!
My sister did architecture. There isn’t really any proper maths in it beyond adding and subtracting numbers.

i’d go with alevels in: german, maths, graphics and physics (or another science if you prefer). With those you’ll get to keep your passion for german, keep door open for architecture and STEM.

remember two years is a long time
and during your alevels or indeed after you might change your mind about what you want to do in uni, so keeping doors open is the best. I wouldn’t bother with further maths as it doesn’t open any additional doors tbh, and it’ll restrict career options ie you’d have to
give up german, graphic design or physics for it and doing that will mean you restrict your options, or lose out on a passion for german!

Thanks for the advice, I would rather do German compared to Further Maths. So I could do Maths, German, Graphics or 3D-Design and Physics. Could I do Chemistry instead of Physics, I prefer it. Would doing Chemistry instead of Physics make it harder to get on an Architectural Engineering course?
These look like really good courses! Architectural-Engineering looks more suitable for me. I really like Maths, in my classes not many people do, so this career
would be more enjoyable. Would a Maths, Further maths, 3D-Design (maybe Graphics if my school doesn’t offer this) and another subject Geography or Physics A-level be suitable?

If you look at the 'Entry Requirements' for the two examples I gave above, UCL doesn't require any specific subjects but Leeds requires maths. You would need to check the requirements for other courses that you find. You still have lots of time to decide on A levels so take your time, see what you enjoy the most at GCSE and then decide. In the meantime, you could search for similar degree courses by using the following website:

https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=architectural-engineering

Try different search terms like 'architectural design'.
Original post by normaw
If you look at the 'Entry Requirements' for the two examples I gave above, UCL doesn't require any specific subjects but Leeds requires maths. You would need to check the requirements for other courses that you find. You still have lots of time to decide on A levels so take your time, see what you enjoy the most at GCSE and then decide. In the meantime, you could search for similar degree courses by using the following website:

https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=architectural-engineering

Try different search terms like 'architectural design'.

:biggrin: Thanks for the help :smile:
Thanks for the advice, I would rather do German compared to Further Maths. So I could do Maths, German, Graphics or 3D-Design and Physics. Could I do Chemistry instead of Physics, I prefer it. Would doing Chemistry instead of Physics make it harder to get on an Architectural Engineering course?

Hmm, not sure. If you post some courses you are interested in i can have a look at entry requirements (or you can look yourself). It should say what alevels you need. Worth checking if architectural engineering is something you want to keep doors open for.

Maths and physics are like one subject in many way. I did maths, f maths, physics and geog and the maths and physics were so interrelated it was kinda easy cos they complemented each other. That’s one benefit of physics, but yer, check entry requirements
Hmm, not sure. If you post some courses you are interested in i can have a look at entry requirements (or you can look yourself). It should say what alevels you need. Worth checking if architectural engineering is something you want to keep doors open for.

Maths and physics are like one subject in many way. I did maths, f maths, physics and geog and the maths and physics were so interrelated it was kinda easy cos they complemented each other. That’s one benefit of physics, but yer, check entry requirements

I see what you are saying, I think getting A-levels in German, Maths, 3D-Design ( or graphics if 3D-Design isn’t offered) and Physics would be best. Could doing 4 A-levels be to much?
I see what you are saying, I think getting A-levels in German, Maths, 3D-Design ( or graphics if 3D-Design isn’t offered) and Physics would be best. Could doing 4 A-levels be to much?

Yes, but you could drop one after the first year if you can’t cope/change your mind. I did 4 and it was fine. It’s different for everyone. I found gcse’s harder personally as i had to spend a lot of time on subjects i was crap at like english and graphic product design and french etc. without weak subjects preoccupying all your time you might find alevels easier like me :smile:
Yes, but you could drop one after the first year if you can’t cope/change your mind. I did 4 and it was fine. It’s different for everyone. I found gcse’s harder personally as i had to spend a lot of time on subjects i was crap at like english and graphic product design and french etc. without weak subjects preoccupying all your time you might find alevels easier like me :smile:

Yeah that makes sense, I have to do English Lang and Lit, also waste lessons doing PE. So I get that without having to do weaker subjects your life is made easier. I think I am definitely going to do four, thanks for the help :smile:
Yeah that makes sense, I have to do English Lang and Lit, also waste lessons doing PE. So I get that without having to do weaker subjects your life is made easier. I think I am definitely going to do four, thanks for the help :smile:

No problem! Good luck with everything and once you go to/finish uni, do let us know what you decided if you remember! I’d be curious to know if you became an architect or scientist or bread baker! Life is so mysterious - you never know where it will take you! :smile:
No problem! Good luck with everything and once you go to/finish uni, do let us know what you decided if you remember! I’d be curious to know if you became an architect or scientist or bread baker! Life is so mysterious - you never know where it will take you! :smile:

If I remember I will definitely, put my decision on here. Thanks again for helping me out :smile:

Don't take four A levels. Unis only take the results of three A levels into consideration and you don't get bonus points for taking more. AAA will always look better than AABB. The only time taking a fourth is justified is if it is Further Maths.
Original post by normaw
Don't take four A levels. Unis only take the results of three A levels into consideration and you don't get bonus points for taking more. AAA will always look better than AABB. The only time taking a fourth is justified is if it is Further Maths.

Why does further maths make it justified?
Original post by normaw

I understand what you are saying but I am going to try to take a fourth and then drop one if it gets too much. I want to A-levels in German, Maths, 3D-Design ( or graphics if 3D-Design isn’t offered) and Physics. The thing is Graphics is creative so it will be a bit of a break. Also Physics and Maths have links that make doing both really doable.

Quick Reply

Latest