The Student Room Group

Romeo and Juliet GCSE Essay "How is Romeo And Juliet's Love Presented In The Play"

Hi I'm in year 11 I have got my GCSES in 2 months it would be a great help if someone marked part of my essay and see what grade I would get if I carried of writing like this!!! I'm aiming for at least a 6 in English lit so can you guys tell me what I need to do to improve

Damsel in distress theory Juliet calls Romeo her "true night" Romeo has saved her from loneliness Juliet now finally has purpose to live for. "true" the metaphorical representation that he loves between Romeo and Juliet is so strong nothing can sever it.
In the extract, Romeo expresses that Rosaline makes him feel "despair" This Abstract noun displays the suffering caused by love. Alternatively, it demonstrates Romeos belief that the love between him and Rosaline is shallow because Stereotypically love is supposed to bring happiness. Shakespeare is possibly conveying that Romeo is blind to what love actually is this foreshadows his love for Juliet later in the play, perhaps suggesting that the intimate, Childlike and passionate love that he shares with Juliet is just a romanticized version in his head, an idea to back this theory is when Romeo addresses Juliet as a “holy shrine” outlining Romeos devotion to her and inevitably relating her to a divine creator, a saint or a religious figure. The religious imagery indicates more ravishing love as Romeo moves away from the cliched, artificial, and exaggerated descriptions of his love for rosaline. intriguingly enough, Romeo's character is firstly mentioned by Lord Capulet in the start or the play as we know so far he is evermore a "Tragic Hero" throughout the play, naturally all Tragic heroes have a flaw and Romeo’s flaw is mentioned many times in the play as by falling in love too quickly and deeply- this theory is constructed by his name
"'Romeo" meaning wanderer" eloquently depicting his search for love as he wanders around Verona after his one-sided love with Rosaline, it is then we are introduced to Romeos possessive traits stated by lord Capulet "Verona brags of him"
"He bears him like a portly gentleman" the collective noun "Gentleman'" refers to someone “who’s conduct proceed from good will and a sense of propriety und who’s deed follows its word " instead Romeo’s behavior contradicts to what people think of him and he rather honors his love for Juliet and only- giving us an insight
into Romeos rash decision making as his reputable gentlemen cover shattered by his deceitful, unfavorable actions and underneath the mask lies a man who has been so lovestruck and infatuated with his lover, he undoubtedly ends his life because of it. interestingly it is the friar who outlines to Romeo his flaw and warns him against such behavior and warns him to "love moderately'" Alternatively Romeo’s actions towards women perhaps can be Justified Romeo himself has a bleak understanding of love and misunderstanding the concept of a healthy relationship which sadly could have saved him from his tragic fate.

Thank you
Reply 1
I think its a good essay, good use of context, quotes, and textual knowledge. You just need to Examine and analyse specific words by maybe defining them… it may help you think of new ideas for example finding the synonyms of that word !

Hoping this was helpful and can be used to aid you in your GCSEs! Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by alicebearsonXxx
Hi I'm in year 11 I have got my GCSES in 2 months it would be a great help if someone marked part of my essay and see what grade I would get if I carried of writing like this!!! I'm aiming for at least a 6 in English lit so can you guys tell me what I need to do to improve

Damsel in distress theory Juliet calls Romeo her "true night" Romeo has saved her from loneliness Juliet now finally has purpose to live for. "true" the metaphorical representation that he loves between Romeo and Juliet is so strong nothing can sever it.
In the extract, Romeo expresses that Rosaline makes him feel "despair" This Abstract noun displays the suffering caused by love. Alternatively, it demonstrates Romeos belief that the love between him and Rosaline is shallow because Stereotypically love is supposed to bring happiness. Shakespeare is possibly conveying that Romeo is blind to what love actually is this foreshadows his love for Juliet later in the play, perhaps suggesting that the intimate, Childlike and passionate love that he shares with Juliet is just a romanticized version in his head, an idea to back this theory is when Romeo addresses Juliet as a “holy shrine” outlining Romeos devotion to her and inevitably relating her to a divine creator, a saint or a religious figure. The religious imagery indicates more ravishing love as Romeo moves away from the cliched, artificial, and exaggerated descriptions of his love for rosaline. intriguingly enough, Romeo's character is firstly mentioned by Lord Capulet in the start or the play as we know so far he is evermore a "Tragic Hero" throughout the play, naturally all Tragic heroes have a flaw and Romeo’s flaw is mentioned many times in the play as by falling in love too quickly and deeply- this theory is constructed by his name
"'Romeo" meaning wanderer" eloquently depicting his search for love as he wanders around Verona after his one-sided love with Rosaline, it is then we are introduced to Romeos possessive traits stated by lord Capulet "Verona brags of him"
"He bears him like a portly gentleman" the collective noun "Gentleman'" refers to someone “who’s conduct proceed from good will and a sense of propriety und who’s deed follows its word " instead Romeo’s behavior contradicts to what people think of him and he rather honors his love for Juliet and only- giving us an insight
into Romeos rash decision making as his reputable gentlemen cover shattered by his deceitful, unfavorable actions and underneath the mask lies a man who has been so lovestruck and infatuated with his lover, he undoubtedly ends his life because of it. interestingly it is the friar who outlines to Romeo his flaw and warns him against such behavior and warns him to "love moderately'" Alternatively Romeo’s actions towards women perhaps can be Justified Romeo himself has a bleak understanding of love and misunderstanding the concept of a healthy relationship which sadly could have saved him from his tragic fate.

Thank you

Hey, this was really good, the inference is really good and so is the context. I think just add more A02 and word your essay so it flows more like a really sentence.
E.g.
In the harmonious rising action of Shakespeare’s romantic tragedy, Romeo’s intense idolatrous feelings are captured through “Juliet is the sun”; the sun is known as a holy source of light that illuminates the world and nourishes life...
or
Shakespeare instils the inevitability of Romeo's tragic narrative arc through Juliet's prophetic declaration "My only love sprung from my only hate". This oxymoron...

I hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest