The Student Room Group

How to get a grade 8/9 English literature?

Hi, I’m doing Macbeth, AIC, Dr Jekyll and Hyde, Power and conflict.

Amy really good tips or how you guys did it, any resource how to structure revision etc
Reply 1
Original post by Liam9123

Amy really good tips or how you guys did it, any resource how to structure revision etc

Hi, I got an 8 in GCSE english lit doing Jekyll and Hyde, R+J and power and conflict, after getting 6s in both mocks. I used genius to revise which gave in depth annotations that often other people would not usually think of which really helped. I also watched every Mr Salles video for my text on the characters, themes and context and made notes. Its also quite useful finding practice exam questions and just bulletpointing an answer like what you could link in, what qoutes you could use, comparrison to other characters. Remember if your really stuck on a question you can always provide a contrast and say how another character is opposite just try to provide reasons for this. - hope this helps

Heya!
I haven't done English lit but here is an article (linked) that gives lots of useful tips on how to do well on your English lit exam :h: Make sure you do lots of practice questions and go through the mark scheme as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind

Hi, I got a 9 and found that the best way to revise was:
Macbeth/J&H - lots of flash cards of quotes, but included was what themes they relate to (maybe by colour coding) and in depth analysis of them inc context. This helps you to make sure to use plenty of context, and work it in through the paragraphs, not just dump it at the end.
Also for Macbeth I just learnt a couple of speeches (e.g. tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow) as it was easier than learning lots of individual bits of it.

Poetry - Categorise as for what sort of conflict they represent. Once you’ve got all your in depth analysis done e.g. in lessons, go through and pick out 6-10 key quotes per poem or for most of the poems, and learn those off by heart. I found it was useful to read my annotations, close my eyes and say them, then try to reproduce them on a blank copy. That way, you can read through your detailed notes so you have an idea for the comparison, and have key quotes for the essay on just one anthology poem.

Afraid I didn’t do AIC as we dropped that component but hope this is helpful and please feel free to ask/message for further advice.

Quick Reply

Latest