The Student Room Group

uni

Which good unis will let people in for econ without maths
Let me think.... None!
Original post by io432

Hi there :smile:

Unfortunately Maths is often seen as a critical part of economics and is therefor usually required by most unis. That being said there are definitely exceptions. For example, the entry requirements to study economics at Kent currently stand at Contextual offer: CCC (with Maths) or BCC (without Maths). I have many friends who study economics and they thoroughly enjoy it. If you want to look into the course I will leave the link below.
If you have any Kent or uni related questions then please let me know! Hope this helps

Economics (BSc) - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/109

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by io432

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5

is this out of 9
Original post by io432
is this out of 9

yes the normal GCSE grades used in England. You can check this against each universities entrance requirements.
I’ve heard Coventry university may consider applications without maths at a level.
(Original post by 0kakhter)I’ve heard Coventry university may consider applications without maths at a level.

This list is not exhaustive. There are probably many others.
Original post by io432

Nottingham, Leeds, Loughborough, Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester (BA), Sheffield (BA), Lancaster (BA), Reading (BA)
Some other universities will also offer economics courses without maths required however these courses will be joint degrees such as economics and politics or other variations of economics degrees
Original post by sk245632
Nottingham, Leeds, Loughborough, Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester (BA), Sheffield (BA), Lancaster (BA), Reading (BA)
Some other universities will also offer economics courses without maths required however these courses will be joint degrees such as economics and politics or other variations of economics degrees

Hi @sk245632 and @io432,

I noticed that you mentioned Loughborough, so I wanted to reply.

You can see the entry requirements for our BSc Economics degree here. You'll also be able to find more information on the course itself, modules, careers and more.

I hope this helps! If you do have any questions about Loughborough, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by io432

Original post by io432
is this out of 9

Hi @io432, I hope you're doing well. Just to add to @swanseajack1's comments - there are numerous Unis that offer Economics without a Maths A-level requirement, including Swansea Uni.

Whilst Maths at A-level might not be compulsory for entry on to the course, many aspects of studying Economics will involve maths at some point or other, especially if you want to pursue the more technical/analytical elements as you progress through your degree.

It's worth researching the course content to gauge what's expected and how each Uni approaches a mix of abilities in Year 1. At Swansea Uni, we have two separate streams for Maths content in Year 1 (students who have A-level maths / students that don't)...with extra maths support available for anyone who needs it.

Feel free to get in touch if you need help with anything else and best of luck with your future choices.

Gethin (Future Students Team)
Original post by io432

Hey @io432

Whilst our BSc Economics programme does require Maths A-level, we do have a couple of options that don't require it, which you may wish to look into.
For example, we have BA Economics, which just requires a 6 at GCSE maths, but there's also other options including a range of joint honours programmes with Economics, so there's a lot to choose from depending on what your interests are!

A full list of all the Economics programmes we have can be found here.

I would definitely look into all the course modules etc, to see if it is something you are interested, as a few people have mentioned above, as economics can often include elements of maths.

If you are interested in looking into Economics at Reading, you could chat to some of our economics students - they each do a different combined degree course, so it may be helpful getting their insight into what it's really like to study economics!

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Original post by sk245632

Hi there,

I'm a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. I just thought I would drop by and say we do offer both economics degrees that do and don't require maths A-Level. The degree not requiring A-Level Maths is Economics BA Hons and it does include some maths within the degree but this is taught to you from scratch with no assumptions of previous knowledge. In addition, certain modules you will share will the degree requiring A-Level maths so it is not an entirely different degree. I know people who have gone onto the BA even though they had A-Level Maths because they thought it would suit them more so it is not seen as a 'worse' degree which I have heard some people worry about before. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Original post by io432

Hi there,

At Aberystwyth we only require Maths GCSE, you can find the rest of the entry requirements here: https://courses.aber.ac.uk/undergraduate/economics-degree/

You can visit us at an Open Day if you would like to find out more :smile: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/study-with-us/open-days/

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!
Anna
Sorry I'm not also an official rep to continue the trend :tongue:

But just thought it would be worth me sharing this thread while you are considering an economics degree:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3652897

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending