The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester vs Uni of Glasgow (Film Studies)

I received an offer from The University of Manchester in the MA Film Studies program and from University of Glasgow in MLitt Film & Television Studies program. The course content is pretty similar but I am not sure which one to choose. If I look at the overall ranking, Manchester is definitely better but I wish to know know more about employability and which one is better for an international student.
Reply 1
You should also consider the cities. I know both well and they are very different. If you live in Glasgow, it's likely that you will live in the West End where the university is situated. It's a pleasant, relatively self-contained area. Manchester Uni is next to MMU and there is a huge infrastructure around them. The main difference is scale. Manchester is a vibrant, edgy city with a huge student population.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
You should also consider the cities. I know both well and they are very different. If you live in Glasgow, it's likely that you will live in the West End where the university is situated. It's a pleasant, relatively self-contained area. Manchester Uni is next to MMU and there is a huge infrastructure around them. The main difference is scale. Manchester is a vibrant, edgy city with a huge student population.

I'm still a little confused as to what kind of city I want to live in. I think I can adapt well in both the cities, but maybe need to do a little more research to make a final decision. Do you also maybe know a little about Edinburgh? Would like to know more about the student life in these three cities please. Thank you.
Reply 3
I don't know Edinburgh as well as Glasgow except to say that it is very touristy and has a reputation for being more upmarket though this is debatable. From an academic point of view though Glasgow has the better reputation for Film Studies (some excellent academics work there), as does Manchester so you've done well to get offers from both of them.
Reply 4
I also recommend doing a bit of digging around TSR as there will be threads about each of these universities which will be useful to you.

Quick Reply