The Student Room Group

apprenticeship or uni

Hi. Can someone give me some sort of advice on whether to choose university or an apprenticeship. You see I have more reasons as to why I should choose an apprenticeship rather than university, but for some reason I'm really stuck. I really don't want to rule out university, but I don't want to rule out an apprenticeship either.
Do a degree apprenticeship, best of both? Then you will have both work experience and a degree.
Reply 2
Original post by 2102945
Do a degree apprenticeship, best of both? Then you will have both work experience and a degree.

The issue is that ive heard that a degree apprenticeship isn't equivalent to an actual degree in other countries, and I'm not so sure if I want to stay in the same country in the future :/
Reply 3
Original post by Zee18luv
The issue is that ive heard that a degree apprenticeship isn't equivalent to an actual degree in other countries, and I'm not so sure if I want to stay in the same country in the future :/

All depends on what degree apprenticeship you do. Sometimes the qualification is far more valuable than the degree. Lots of people have asked me how, where and with whom I gained my professional qualification, but nobody asks me about my degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
All depends on what degree apprenticeship you do. Sometimes the qualification is far more valuable than the degree. Lots of people have asked me how, where and with whom I gained my professional qualification, but nobody asks me about my degree.

So if I said for example, "I do an apprenticeship degree with google" they would prefer that than my actual degree that I would've picked and that would be more useful in other countries?
Reply 5
So if I said for example, "I do an apprenticeship degree with google" they would prefer that than my actual degree that I would've picked and that would be more useful in other countries?

That’s an area that I don’t have any expertise in so any advice I give is only a guestimate at best. I imagine it depends on what the Google apprenticeship is and the type of degree they are offering. What kind of project work will you be doing? will they guarantee you a contract of employment afterwards?what transferable skills will you obtain. I do know people working for Google that are earning a fortune but already had a degree from a world renowned university. Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone who went through the apprenticeship route so I can’t compare. Are there no sources of information that give you an idea of what past apprenticeship students are doing today?
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
That’s an area that I don’t have any expertise in so any advice I give is only a guestimate at best. I imagine it depends on what the Google apprenticeship is and the type of degree they are offering. What kind of project work will you be doing? will they guarantee you a contract of employment afterwards?what transferable skills will you obtain. I do know people working for Google that are earning a fortune but already had a degree from a world renowned university. Unfortunately I don’t know if anyone who went through the apprenticeship route so I can’t compare. Are there no sources of information that give you an idea of what past apprenticeship students are doing today?

Kind of? I spoke to some apprentices the other day, but they all mostly had a negative veiw on universities and mostly just pushed apprenticeships on me rather than actually answering my questions.
Hi. Can someone give me some sort of advice on whether to choose university or an apprenticeship. You see I have more reasons as to why I should choose an apprenticeship rather than university, but for some reason I'm really stuck. I really don't want to rule out university, but I don't want to rule out an apprenticeship either.

If you get a degree you become illegible for most apprenticeships as you’ll be overqualified so if you want to become an apprenticeship you must gain an apprenticeship before you gain a degree.

I hope I have answered your question.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Kind of? I spoke to some apprentices the other day, but they all mostly had a negative veiw on universities and mostly just pushed apprenticeships on me rather than actually answering my questions.

You need to find some accurate information about the possibility of progressing within Google or elsewhere after the apprenticeship and how this compares to employees who have done the standard graduate route. Are apprentices making it up the ladder to management positions or not? These are things that I don’t know but the information is surely available.

Hard choice, make it up, weigh the pros and cons and whatever. I mean it's the skills you get from the degree/ qualification. You can go both to uni and degree apprenticeship, but if you did **** all during your time, you'll be hardstuck doing nothing.

In terms of getting a qualification, I don't see how doing a degree apprenticeship is not seen as a qualification, at the end of the day, you're working 5 days a week, while going to university. You gain a qualification from the university.
Reply 10
Original post by Euapp
You need to find some accurate information about the possibility of progressing within Google or elsewhere after the apprenticeship and how this compares to employees who have done the standard graduate route. Are apprentices making it up the ladder to management positions or not? These are things that I don’t know but the information is surely available.

Going to google was just an example but from what I can remember, the apprentices said that it takes them a really long time to get to management positions and they do get promotions but they aren't very big.
Reply 11
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
If you get a degree you become illegible for most apprenticeships as you’ll be overqualified so if you want to become an apprenticeship you must gain an apprenticeship before you gain a degree.

I hope I have answered your question.

I get what you mean, thanks.
Reply 12
Original post by Sadman123
Hard choice, make it up, weigh the pros and cons and whatever. I mean it's the skills you get from the degree/ qualification. You can go both to uni and degree apprenticeship, but if you did **** all during your time, you'll be hardstuck doing nothing.

In terms of getting a qualification, I don't see how doing a degree apprenticeship is not seen as a qualification, at the end of the day, you're working 5 days a week, while going to university. You gain a qualification from the university.

What do you mean by 'hardstruck doing nothing'?
Reply 13
Going to google was just an example but from what I can remember, the apprentices said that it takes them a really long time to get to management positions and they do get promotions but they aren't very big.

But similarly those doing undergraduate degrees face incredible competition just to get a graduate scheme or job afterwards. Once you have your foot in the door it’s up to you to prove your worth whether it be via the apprenticeship schemes or after a standard graduate degree.
Reply 14
Original post by Euapp
But similarly those doing undergraduate degrees face incredible competition just to get a graduate scheme or job afterwards. Once you have your foot in the door it’s up to you to prove your worth whether it be via the apprenticeship schemes or after a standard graduate degree.

Alright, thank youuu!

Hi,

My advice to you would be to consider what would be more beneficial for your future prospects. It all depends on what you want to do at the end of the day. However if you decide to go down the University route perhaps go to some open days and find out about what courses they offer and see if they are any interest to you, even if you do choose to do an apprenticeship at least you have a back up if it doesn't go to plan. We have an open day at De Montfort University at the end of march, this is the link to book DMU Open Day and the great thing about it is that you can go to open days for free and they are really good ways of finding out what University is like as it can be a big decision to make.

With apprenticeships maybe you could reach out to people on social media and find out what doing an apprenticeship is like just to get a better view of how they work.

At the end of the day it is completely up to you whether you choose university or an apprenticeship, they both can be beneficial for your future career. I hope this has helped

-Tianna :smile:
Reply 16
It all depends on how the apprenticeship is run. Are they actually investing in you and teaching you new skills like a degree apprenticeship or are they just using you as a form of cheap labour. You’ll have to do some research to find out the roles occupied by those that have already been through the scheme.
(edited 1 year ago)
What do you mean by 'hardstruck doing nothing'?

Working the classic 9-5, I mean I know universities students who've done that, all they're really good at is studying, they went to uni thinking this would set them for life.

if you get a degree, and you dont got the skills to show it, you'll be hardstuck doing something you prolly didnt intend to do. I mean my dad has two degrees, but has got nothing out of it, don't be like them
I would vouch for you to pursue a degree apprenticeship. My word of advice would be to be persistent and determined when starting/ going through the application process(es). Yes, I mean processes because many people would like to pursue one thus making it extremely competitive. Hopefully, your journey will be smoother than most. 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending