The Student Room Group

Spelling for A-level English language

I’m currently in my final year of my A-levels and have recently finished my mocks.
In my mocks for English language I was able to achieve an A grade.
I’m a person who has always struggled with spelling and writing but has also gained a love for English in the past 3 years which led to me choosing English language as an A-level.
During this course I was able to work on laptop and am able to do so in my exams as well.
But when I was younger I was screened for dyslexia and was considered to have it however my parents couldn’t afford an official test so it was never “officially” confirmed.
Now in A-level I still haven’t been fully tested. I got the feedback from my mock and my teacher was going over all of the spelling mistakes I made, to me they all looked correct but my work was riddled with them.
My teacher wasn’t sure on how many marks I’d be marked down for these mistakes and I just need to know how much I will be marked down and what I could do to hopefully get better at spelling.
Any help on this is much appreciated
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
In English language exams, spelling mistakes can cost you valuable marks. However, the number of marks you might lose for spelling errors will depend on the specific exam board and criteria for grading your paper.
If you suspect that you might have dyslexia, getting a formal diagnosis from a professional, such as an educational psychologist, could be helpful. This could provide you with access to extra support and accommodations that could help you perform to the best of your ability in exams.
To improve your spelling, consider using tools such as spell-checkers or grammar-checkers to help identify errors. You could also try educational apps such as ‘Elevate’. It is also helpful to practice spelling words that you commonly misspell and to ask others to proofread your work to catch any mistakes you may have missed.
Finally, try not to let your struggles with spelling hold you back. You clearly love English and have shown you can achieve good grades despite these challenges. Keep working hard, and don't hesitate to ask for help or accommodations if needed.
hey, I just did AQA A-level Language last year and got an A and was a few marks from an A* despite not being able to spell half the words I used. My teachers always told me to focus on what I was writing because it's better to have quality work there than have nothing to show because you got hung up on spelling. Something I did do was make sure I knew how to spell the names of theorists, as that's most important, then for anything else was sounding out the words so when examiners read my work if it wasn't spelled right they could at least say what they see and get it from that. Now I'm at uni I use Grammarly on my laptop which has really helped me to make sure I am seeing the right spellings when I'm working. Hope this helps a bit :smile:
Original post by Callum2574
I’m currently in my final year of my A-levels and have recently finished my mocks.
In my mocks for English language I was able to achieve an A grade.
I’m a person who has always struggled with spelling and writing but has also gained a love for English in the past 3 years which led to me choosing English language as an A-level.
During this course I was able to work on laptop and am able to do so in my exams as well.
But when I was younger I was screened for dyslexia and was considered to have it however my parents couldn’t afford an official test so it was never “officially” confirmed.
Now in A-level I still haven’t been fully tested. I got the feedback from my mock and my teacher was going over all of the spelling mistakes I made, to me they all looked correct but my work was riddled with them.
My teacher wasn’t sure on how many marks I’d be marked down for these mistakes and I just need to know how much I will be marked down and what I could do to hopefully get better at spelling.
Any help on this is much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest