UCL or durham the third oldest university? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Masonne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hmm i wash just watching university challene, from a few years back...and it had durham and paxman said it was the third oldest university in england. i thought this was UCL...and then Kings after that. UCL and durham both claim to be the third oldest in their prospectuses...which is correct?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Masonne)
hmm i wash just watching university challene, from a few years back...and it had durham and paxman said it was the third oldest university in england. i thought this was UCL...and then Kings after that. UCL and durham both claim to be the third oldest in their prospectuses...which is correct?
Durham is technically as it was given a full charter before UCL.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Durham is technically as it was given a full charter before UCL.
I believe Kings is also technically older than UCL for a similiar reason. UCL as an institution (if not full university) predates both.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ucl.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its UCL!!!!!!!! said so in prospectus somewhere, and also in news too!.....

..no wonder UCL is a dump - one of the most run down uni i've visited, after
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
Its UCL!!!!!!!! said so in prospectus somewhere, and also in news too!.....
It says so in the Durham prospectus and I'm sure there are many media reports stating the Durham is the third oldest university in the country too.

Of course there are 4 unis in Scotland that predate all those.
Tonight Matthew
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So - anyone else not care?
Mean Mr. Mustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
So - anyone else not care?
*Raises hand*
Checking for Spies
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I found out a disturbing fact about UCL today.......apparently the philosopher (and founder) Jeremy Bentham's preserved body is kept there and sometimes brought out for special occassions like formal meals!Eurgh! :eek:
d750
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
I found out a disturbing fact about UCL today.......apparently the philosopher (and founder) Jeremy Bentham's preserved body is kept there and sometimes brought out for special occassions like formal meals!Eurgh! :eek:
What's more disturbing is that the head on his body isn't the original. :eek:
Some KCL students snuck in one night and sawed his head off and played football with it, so the original can't be used anymore. :eek: :eek:
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ewwww!
shadowkin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I found out a disturbing fact about UCL today.......apparently the philosopher (and founder) Jeremy Bentham's preserved body is kept there and sometimes brought out for special occassions like formal meals!Eurgh!
It's only his skeleton with his original clothes apparently. That's what they said at the tour on the open day.

(Original post by d750)
What's more disturbing is that the head on his body isn't the original.
Some KCL students snuck in one night and sawed his head off and played football with it, so the original can't be used anymore.
lmao
shadowkin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shadowkin)
It's only his skeleton with his original clothes apparently. That's what they said at the tour on the open day.
Of course...they've padded out the skeleton a bit.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, and they (UCL) cut the balls off our mascot. (A copper lion called Reggie...)
Chrism
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I heard the rumour that the corpse is sometimes brought to meetings and listed as present but not voting.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I saw it today, was amazing!
Couth
Report 14 years ago
Jeremy Bentham's preserved body is kept there and sometimes brought out for special occassions like formal meals!Eurgh!

Yes. King's often try and grab him. The best example was in 1989 when King's took off his head, played football with it in the UC Quad and then put it in a locker in a Scottish train station. It's now in a UC vault and a wax head has replaced it.
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chats)
I saw it today, was amazing!
he's such a cool corpse
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Couth)
Jeremy Bentham's preserved body is kept there and sometimes brought out for special occassions like formal meals!Eurgh!

Yes. King's often try and grab him. The best example was in 1989 when King's took off his head, played football with it in the UC Quad and then put it in a locker in a Scottish train station. It's now in a UC vault and a wax head has replaced it.
I heard UCL stole Kings' 'wolf mascot' and done some nasty things to it
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
he's such a cool corpse
lol yeh the main UCL dome/quadrangle area was pretty cool too :cool:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (130)
64.36%
No I haven't decided yet (43)
21.29%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.36%

Watched Threads