The Student Room Group

which unis would you recommend..

i wish to study history at uni, i already have my top 3 unis i wish to apply to but now i need 2 safe but still russell group to apply to
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Base it on where you would like to be, I recently read, that majority of graduates end up working and living in the surrounding areas of the university they attend.
Original post by aaaa5554
i wish to study history at uni, i already have my top 3 unis i wish to apply to but now i need 2 safe but still russell group to apply to

What type of history do you want to study?
What type of location?
Why only Russell Group? (Aren't you good enough for eg St Andrews or Lancaster?)
Why do you need to choose all 5 now?
Ideally your five Uni choices should look like this :

1 or 2 choices - asking one grade above your predicted grades
2 or 3 choices - at your predicted grades
1 choice - asking below your predicted grades

TSR Applying for History - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/history_degree

If you are applying now for 2023 entry, then you need to phone each Uni to check that that course is still open as most closed in January.

If you are applying for 2024 entry, then you have time to go to Open Days and/or research each course and Uni properly before you make your decision.
Original post by aaaa5554

Russell group is meaningless. It is just a marketing body. When you say lower grades for insurance what grades are you talking about. Are you looking for big city or a campus uni. You need to check course content. Lancaster and York might be worth looking into.
Tip: pick the University you think is best otherwise you will find things incredibly difficult for the next 3/4 years and waste a huge part of your life.

Original post by username6094811

Why do they have to be Russell Group ?
As a current student at Lancaster University, I can confidently say that looking outside of Russell Group unis is worth your time. I received offers from 4 universities— 2 London based and 3 of which were Russell Group. But the structure of the history degree at Lancaster is quite unique and it suited me down to the ground. So I'd be more than happy to give you an insight into what studying here might be like but I'll definitely reiterate what others have said in terms of making your choices.
Original post by username6094811

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending