The Student Room Group

Swansea vs Sussex? Which should I go to

I am unsure of which uni to put as my top choice, I’ve got an offer (mechanical engineering) from both BBB - Swansea and BBC (BCC if firm choice) - Sussex.

My issue lies in the pros and cons of both
1. Swansea is cheaper than sussex
2. Student life is apparently better at Sussex and i consider that an important part.
3. I would be closer to my current bf if he goes to Cardiff but his backup is most likely Brighton so it’s hard to decide as cardiff and swansea are close and brighton/sussex are close but the opposites are far.

I would preferably be closer to my bf but i understand that is a bad idea as it is uncertain as to whether or not we will be together however my lowest offer is Sussex and i wouldn’t have an insurance if i put it as my firm.

(other offers BBC sheffield w foundation year, BBC Exeter w foundation year). I feel like i have made a mistake with my grade range lol. any advice will be appreciated and which is the better uni to go to for overall social life and satisfaction as a student?
Reply 1
Why not Sheffield? It has a very strong mech eng course. Swansea is also very strong for mech eng. not sure about Sussex and Exeter - I think of them as more focussed on arts and humanities.
Reply 2
Hi the foundation year is sort of off putting as i don’t wish to spend 4-5 years if i am not the biggest fan. Also Sheffield is quite far from where i live (Bristol), my family is not rich so i’d rather have a more affordable travel option.
Reply 3
I would look at which university is best known for mechanical engineering and how the job prospects are ( which has the highest percentage of students going in to employment Use discover uni to find this out ) .
Think about which university you would prefer as you'll be going to that uni. So look at the lifestyle there, the campus itself the modules, the teaching styles and assignment methods as they can make a big difference on your uni experience and grades. Look at which university would help you secure a job at better companies as they'll most likely pay more which will affect how you live your life in the future and look at the general location no one wants to live somewhere they hate.

I wouldn't worry too much about which uni your bf is going because if the relationship is stronger enough you'll both be able to make it work ,think more about yourself and your future.

You can always video call or arrange to meet up half way or he goes to you and you go to him when you both have time off. If he truly loves you he'll support your decision no matter what. At the end of the day you don't want any regrets.
Reply 4
Original post by deyarius
Hi the foundation year is sort of off putting as i don’t wish to spend 4-5 years if i am not the biggest fan. Also Sheffield is quite far from where i live (Bristol), my family is not rich so i’d rather have a more affordable travel option.

Ah, ok - I think travel from Swansea might be more convenient and I’d imagine the cost of living is much lower than Sussex. That’s well worth checking.
Original post by deyarius
I am unsure of which uni to put as my top choice, I’ve got an offer (mechanical engineering) from both BBB - Swansea and BBC (BCC if firm choice) - Sussex.

My issue lies in the pros and cons of both
1. Swansea is cheaper than sussex
2. Student life is apparently better at Sussex and i consider that an important part.
3. I would be closer to my current bf if he goes to Cardiff but his backup is most likely Brighton so it’s hard to decide as cardiff and swansea are close and brighton/sussex are close but the opposites are far.

I would preferably be closer to my bf but i understand that is a bad idea as it is uncertain as to whether or not we will be together however my lowest offer is Sussex and i wouldn’t have an insurance if i put it as my firm.

(other offers BBC sheffield w foundation year, BBC Exeter w foundation year). I feel like i have made a mistake with my grade range lol. any advice will be appreciated and which is the better uni to go to for overall social life and satisfaction as a student?

Hi @deyarius, I hope all is well. Apologies for the late reply I’m Megan and currently in my second year at Swansea Uni.

Here are some thoughts on your original points from my personal experience…Uni choice is a big decision, and it really depends on what’s important to you and where you’ll feel most at home. You’ve mentioned cost of living and student life, so I’ll focus on these elements, but feel free to ask any other questions if you need more info or advice. Swansea and Sussex are quite close in terms of profile and rankings have you visited us in person yet?..if not, I would highly recommend a trip to gauge the location and vibe for yourself.

I’ve never lived in Sussex / Brighton areas, but I do know Swansea is reasonable in terms of student living, and the accommodation will be more affordable than many other cities across the UK it’s a city with lots of students and you’ll find lots of student promos and opps catered for students, including part-time and seasonal work if you need to earn some extra cash alongside studies. Here’s a link to recent StudentCrowd research on accommodation costs which might be of interest?
https://www.studentcrowd.com/page/cheapest-uk-cities-for-student-accommodation

Student life at Sussex will be great I’m sure - but it’s definitely worth checking out reviews from other students to see how Swansea compares in reality. Here’s a couple of links to WhatUni guide reviews for comparison between Swansea and Sussex (Mech Eng):
Swansea Uni https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/mechanical-engineering-beng-hons/swansea-university/cd/56990764/5778/
Uni of Sussex https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/mechanical-engineering-beng-hons/university-of-sussex/cd/54967510/5193/

Swansea’s a great all-rounder for nightlife, culture and sports too…plus, we have some amazing beaches and outdoor activities on the doorstep check out the Gower Peninsula and you’ll see how popular it is for surfing and hiking, especially in the summertime…only a few miles down the road from campus. The Student Union is also super active and there’s loads going on throughout the year, pretty much catering for all interests.

I hope this helps a little if you need anything else, get in touch. The Swansea Uni TSR Forum might also have some useful previous threads with student insights and experiences, so have a look if you haven’t already https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=178.

Wishing you all the best in future!

Megan (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest