The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

If I want to become a fashion designer that sets up a fashion business which would be

I've always wanted to become a fashion designer which has there own business but also has collections in shops.

I'm currently searching for which degree would help me do that. I love fashion and I love business but I would love to learn about the creative side of fashion so the sewing , designing, CAD , fashion technology, and from a business perspective I love learning about marketing, advertising and I would love to learn more about finances, buying, sourcing materials ,payroll and management.

My disadvantages are I've just starting learning to sew and I need to buy a new laptop in order to learn about CAD as my current laptop doesn't support alot of CAD applications.
Business wise I don't know which area of business would benefit me most and I'm not the most analytical person. I have a grade 5 in maths .

Advantages are I've been creative since I was a child but I focused more on fine art and drawing designs . Most of my level 3 qualification are in art and design I've always wanted to have a business. I did study business at gcse only reason I didn't study both business and art / fashion at level 3 was because the college didn't offer both as a combination.

If any one can help it would be appreciated.
When I have tried speaking to family about studying fashion they have disregarded it and told me to have a look at either fine art and then get a teaching qualification or look at real subjects and get life experience in other employment sectors and have tried pushing me towards education even though I've known for a while it isn't for me and I even got a job in education but I really didn't like .

When I did look at 'real subjects' my family liked law but then dismissed it a month later , when I did look at psychology they were happy but then said I need to combine that subject with a real subject even though I like psychology I'm not the most analytical person .

Personally I feel if there was a perfect course for me it would fashion design , a business subject with psychology. .
Psychology being the minor back up.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Currently I am looking at doing marketing and management with psychology and then a fashion design degree but im unsure if ual or other universities except Southampton would like me go on to a masters degree without any qualifications in fashion

plus its extremely hard to get on a fashion internship / job without a ba . At most I have fashion retail experience as a sales assistant and stock replenishment assistant.

I RCA does a diploma for students who want to get into fashion but don't have a ba but I wouldn't be able to fund it.
hey! just some questions to ask yourself that every fashion student considers:
what is your family background; do you have connections? if not, do you have enough talent to supersede that? can you afford to study and work in an industry that thrives off unpaid interns?

are you okay with the slim chances of being a brand's creative director and business owner, and even narrower for a physical presence of a brand? look at recent brands with a physical presence in stores. simone rocha is the daughter of a famous fashion designer. virgil abloh was friends with kanye west.

i wish you all the best, i really do but fashion is an incredibly competitive industry full of people with talent, connections, and most importantly, money. you must have a combination of at least two of these things alongside luck to make it, or it's a lot of time wasted for a dream.
Original post by Anonymous
hey! just some questions to ask yourself that every fashion student considers:
what is your family background; do you have connections? if not, do you have enough talent to supersede that? can you afford to study and work in an industry that thrives off unpaid interns?

are you okay with the slim chances of being a brand's creative director and business owner, and even narrower for a physical presence of a brand? look at recent brands with a physical presence in stores. simone rocha is the daughter of a famous fashion designer. virgil abloh was friends with kanye west.

i wish you all the best, i really do but fashion is an incredibly competitive industry full of people with talent, connections, and most importantly, money. you must have a combination of at least two of these things alongside luck to make it, or it's a lot of time wasted for a dream.

My family are not in the fashion industry im probably the only creative person in my family. But I most likely going to do a degree in marketing and business /business management as there fashion jobs which want marketing or business graduates as I am good at saving money I will most likely save and apply for a post graduate diploma with the Royal college of arts or ual and couple other universities as they offer scholarships and bursaries and ideally when I'm at university will most likely try to set up an online place to sell small simple pieces. If I do get on to a postgraduate diploma I'm gonna try to get on to a fashion masters as its a subject which I don't feel like I can not try .

Even if im not no better at least I know I tried
Fashion school helps with connections and being able to get started in the industry as well as being a part of competitions and getting selected for fashion shows and awards
fashion school will definitely help with connections. i study at a fashion school in NYC currently and it has helped me get connections. it is worth a try; i would definitely look into a general degree in marketing if you want to get into the industry at this stage. to make it as a designer, or to have a brand, however, that will be a LOT more difficult unless you start over from scratch. realistically if you make it, you'll be marketing another person's designs if you have little experience in that department at this point. apply to lcf and rca. csm has one MA marketing program that i know of. see if antwerp or esmod do postgraduate fashion marketing degrees. fit in NYC is great for postgraduate business degrees. good luck!
Currently I am looking at doing marketing and management with psychology and then a fashion design degree but im unsure if ual or other universities except Southampton would like me go on to a masters degree without any qualifications in fashion

plus its extremely hard to get on a fashion internship / job without a ba . At most I have fashion retail experience as a sales assistant and stock replenishment assistant.

I RCA does a diploma for students who want to get into fashion but don't have a ba but I wouldn't be able to fund it.

if you want to do a BA fashion design degree, i would look into kingston or westminster as they are relatively known names in the UK industry. UAL is definitely a lot more competitive (give it a try though, you never know!!) i had a very good internship while doing my foundation year, so you don't necessarily need a BA degree. another option is grad dip at CSM (past BA level, for applicants with less experience than MA), but I've heard from friends that it is a neglected course compared to the other fashion programs there. sorry if my tone comes off a bit badly in my posts, i just know many people who have been in the same position and don't make the right choice for them.
if you want to do a BA fashion design degree, i would look into kingston or westminster as they are relatively known names in the UK industry. UAL is definitely a lot more competitive (give it a try though, you never know!!) i had a very good internship while doing my foundation year, so you don't necessarily need a BA degree. another option is grad dip at CSM (past BA level, for applicants with less experience than MA), but I've heard from friends that it is a neglected course compared to the other fashion programs there. sorry if my tone comes off a bit badly in my posts, i just know many people who have been in the same position and don't make the right choice for them.

It's fine, I do appreciate all the advice thank you . I will try to look in to the degrees and options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending