The Student Room Group

SFE scam email?

Just received the following email:

CRN: ***********

Hi Dulcie,

It’s quick and easy to re-apply online. It only takes around 10 minutes once you’re signed in to your online account. Follow our 5 steps:

Click ‘Undergraduate student finance applications’

Click ‘reapply for student finance now’

Check your details are correct

Agree to the terms and conditions and submit

Re-apply now!

The deadline for continuing students is 23 June 2023, but don’t wait until then. Beat the rush and get your money in place ahead of everyone else! If you apply after the date, your money might be late!

Find out everything you need to know about student finance.

Already re-applied?

If you’ve already re-applied, you can ignore this email.

Remember to check the progress of your application in your online account.

*A bunch of small text underneath*

Just seemed a bit fishy as I've never had an email like this from SFE before, anyone know if it's legit?
Original post by dulcieca_x

Hi Dulcie,

It’s quick and easy to re-apply online. It only takes around 10 minutes once you’re signed in to your online account. Follow our 5 steps:

Re-apply now!

The deadline for continuing students is 23 June 2023, but don’t wait until then. Beat the rush and get your money in place ahead of everyone else! If you apply after the date, your money might be late!

Already re-applied?

Just seemed a bit fishy as I've never had an email like this from SFE before, anyone know if it's legit?

I suspect it's legit. The links are to slc.co.uk (which is correct) and the e-mail identifies you by name. There's no guarantee, but those are positive signs.

Is the CRN correct (based upon the account you have with the Student Loan Company)?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I suspect it's legit. The links are to slc.co.uk (which is correct) and the e-mail identifies you by name. There's no guarantee, but those are positive signs.

Is the CRN correct (based upon the account you have with the Student Loan Company)?

Thanks for replying. Yes, the number is correct and have now clicked on the links myself and think they are legit. To be honest I was too wary to click on any links but that would have been a big clue had I!
You can always just go directly to the site and sign in through there instead if clicking the links if you are unsure. But that sounds like a standard SFE email to me.

Hi Dulcie,

Re-apply now!

Already re-applied?

Hello @dulcieca_x

I hope you're well. It does appear to be a standard email from student finance from returning students, however you did do the right thing by being seeking advice and being cautious as scammers are using good techniques these days! Word of advice for the future, try to avoid posting the same links that you are cautious of on a public forum, just incase it was actually a scam it could've caused issues for a few people.

I would always advise you to contact the company via telephone and ask if they've sent out any communication to you etc, to confirm it was sent from them!

Kind regards :smile:
Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi Dulcie,

Re-apply now!

Already re-applied?

Probably legit - I got one too :five:
I think I got one the year before as well thinking about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest