The Student Room Group

Going to an offer holder event despite accepting a different uni offer

Okay so im just thinking more hypothetically, can i visit an offer holder event to a uni when ive already accepted an offer to another uni like say i said id go to dundee uni but i am invited to edinburgh uni offer holder days and out of curiosity i want to go?
i know theres not really any need to go and itll be a quiet event anyway so its not like im taking spaces away from people (its not for edi or dun) im just wondering is all
Reply 1
You are definitely allowed to do this. For example, hypothetically, if you chose Dundee first and you need AAA and you put Edinburgh as an insurance and you need AAB, you might end up going to Edinburgh if you miss your grades. So in this case it would actually be sensible to visit both because you could end up at either.
thank you! i am however a scottish student so i have my grades and accepted an unconditional offer, its pure nosiness from me really :eek:

Original post by 4orbit
You are definitely allowed to do this. For example, hypothetically, if you chose Dundee first and you need AAA and you put Edinburgh as an insurance and you need AAB, you might end up going to Edinburgh if you miss your grades. So in this case it would actually be sensible to visit both because you could end up at either.
Original post by kurstiecannoli
Okay so im just thinking more hypothetically, can i visit an offer holder event to a uni when ive already accepted an offer to another uni like say i said id go to dundee uni but i am invited to edinburgh uni offer holder days and out of curiosity i want to go?
i know theres not really any need to go and itll be a quiet event anyway so its not like im taking spaces away from people (its not for edi or dun) im just wondering is all

Offer-holder events are for those who hold an offer at the university hosting the event. At the point you select your firm and insurance offers, any other offers you're holding are automatically declined.

So if you did as you suggest, you'd be attending an offer-holder event even though you no longer held an offer there. I'm not sure whether their admin process would spot that fact though, so you might get away with it. It's also possible that when you arrived for the event and registered, they'd note that you were no longer an offer holder and... well, it could be a little awkward all round.
Original post by DataVenia
Offer-holder events are for those who hold an offer at the university hosting the event. At the point you select your firm and insurance offers, any other offers you're holding are automatically declined.

So if you did as you suggest, you'd be attending an offer-holder event even though you no longer held an offer there. I'm not sure whether their admin process would spot that fact though, so you might get away with it. It's also possible that when you arrived for the event and registered, they'd note that you were no longer an offer holder and... well, it could be a little awkward all round.

fair enough lol i forgot they register you :eek: thanks anyway
I don't see any issue in going along to any offer holder day, Universities could hope that you'd either be swayed to change or that you'd make a good ambassador for their uni. If they really cared they would send you a message saying 'we see you have declined us so we have re-allocated your open day slot' but I'm guessing this is highly unlikely. Unless space/places are tight I see no issue, here we like as many as possible to attend. Good luck!
If they invite you then you can go.

Even if you have accepted an unconditional offer it’s possible to swap your replies until mid July.
Reply 7

Offer day spaces usually aren't unlimited. Why would you take a space up at a university you no longer have an offer for ?
thank you! i am however a scottish student so i have my grades and accepted an unconditional offer, its pure nosiness from me really :eek:

Oo where u going instead?
Original post by dunnott
Offer day spaces usually aren't unlimited. Why would you take a space up at a university you no longer have an offer for ?

According to the original post, they want to attend "out of curiosity". :confused:
Original post by DataVenia
According to the original post, they want to attend "out of curiosity". :confused:

Yes, I get that. I guess I just don't understand it.

I tried to book a place on the final Bristol offer holders day this week, when I got my offer, to find all the accomodation visit slots are fully booked which means there's not much point in going tbh.

If some of those slots are taken up by non offer holders just being "curious" it'd be pretty annoying.
Original post by dunnott

I tried to book a place on the final Bristol offer holders day this week, when I got my offer, to find all the accomodation visit slots are fully booked which means there's not much point in going tbh.

If some of those slots are taken up by non offer holders just being "curious" it'd be pretty annoying.

Agreed. I'd have thought that the polite thing to do would be to cancel any bookings for offer-holder days at universities you have no intention of attending.
Original post by dunnott

I would say go anyway. There’s bound to be some people who booked who don’t turn up (for all sorts of reasons) which will free up spaces. Worst case scenario you can still visit the accommodation locations and get a feel for the areas/travel times without going inside

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending