The Student Room Group

Official: University of Newcastle, Medicine and Surgery (A100) 2023 Offer Holders.

Hey!! Is Newcastle your first choice? Loved it and not sure whether to firm right away and put Sheffield as insurance!!
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Aims20
Hey!! Is Newcastle your first choice? Loved it and not sure whether to firm right away and put Sheffield as insurance!!

Newcastle is definitely my first choice, I think I will also put Sheffied as my insurance although it doesn't really matter as they have the same entry requirements for me!
Reply 3
I have firmed Newcastle already because it was my first initially. Plus I already have my grades, so its only conditional on the summer school since I applied via partners.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Im still waiting on kings but newcastle was def my favourite
Reply 5
Original post by Aims20

I’m thinking of doing the same xx r u going to the sheff offer holder day this sat ?
Reply 6
Got my offer today at 12:30, I saw someone in the other thread talking about a dbs check, what do offer holders need to do now or do we just need to get the grades and that’s it.
Reply 7
Original post by Abagyh
Got my offer today at 12:30, I saw someone in the other thread talking about a dbs check, what do offer holders need to do now or do we just need to get the grades and that’s it.

Apparently an email is being sent tomorrow, hopefully will bring more clarity on what to do next!
Reply 8
Original post by millie3004
I’m thinking of doing the same xx r u going to the sheff offer holder day this sat ?

I am going in april x
Reply 9
Original post by Abagyh

I think the DBS check is done on their behalf and they just use the information provided in the UCAS application to process it. It is mainly to check to see if you have any convictions on your record so we don't have to do anything. I have my grades already so will have to upload proof onto the Newcastle applicant portal. If you don't have grades it goes the normal route I believe. The other 2 conditions are just the occupation health questionnaire and partners summer school for me. I'm just waiting for the email tomorrow. I'm going to start my student finance as well since I've firmed.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Zhanae
I think the DBS check is done on their behalf and they just use the information provided in the UCAS application to process it. It is mainly to check to see if you have any convictions on your record so we don't have to do anything. I have my grades already so will have to upload proof onto the Newcastle applicant portal. If you don't have grades it goes the normal route I believe The other 2 conditions are just the occupation health questionnaire and partners summer school for me. I'm just waiting for the email tomorrow. I'm going to start mu student finance as well since I've firmed.

I am in a similar situation as you! Do you know how we upload our A level certificates onto the Newcastle Portal or will they email us with further info on how to do it soon do you think. Also I am still waiting to hear back from 2 unis, in order for me to firm Newcastle, do I need to withdraw my other 2 applications on UCAS?
Reply 11
Original post by Fyka099
I am in a similar situation as you! Do you know how we upload our A level certificates onto the Newcastle Portal or will they email us with further info on how to do it soon do you think. Also I am still waiting to hear back from 2 unis, in order for me to firm Newcastle, do I need to withdraw my other 2 applications on UCAS?

When I emailed this morning they said the email tomorrow will contain all of the information regarding what happens next including the Applicants portal.
I think to firm you have to withdraw from the other 2. When you hear back from all unis then you can start to firm.
Reply 12
Original post by Zhanae
I think the DBS check is done on their behalf and they just use the information provided in the UCAS application to process it. It is mainly to check to see if you have any convictions on your record so we don't have to do anything. I have my grades already so will have to upload proof onto the Newcastle applicant portal. If you don't have grades it goes the normal route I believe. The other 2 conditions are just the occupation health questionnaire and partners summer school for me. I'm just waiting for the email tomorrow. I'm going to start my student finance as well since I've firmed.

DBS is a legal procedure that has specific requiremnts and needs proof of identity, so yo will need to provide them with this. It is usually at the start of term, but it varies from med school to med school
Reply 13
Original post by millie3004

Not unless you want to get banned from TSR, as off site SM discussion is against the rules - it is a safeguarding risk as nobody knows what is out there!
Original post by GANFYD
Not unless you want to get banned from TSR, as off site SM discussion is against the rules - it is a safeguarding risk as nobody knows what is out there!

thought twice about posting this but they’ve all been doing it on the Brighton thread quite openly! @millie3004 could have read the BSMS thread and thought the group idea was acceptable in practice ( just don’t want her to feel singled out even though what you say GANFYD is true as always)
Reply 15
Original post by MedMama
thought twice about posting this but they’ve all been doing it on the Brighton thread quite openly! @millie3004 could have read the BSMS thread and thought the group idea was acceptable in practice ( just don’t want her to feel singled out even though what you say GANFYD is true as always)

Sorry didn't realise !
Reply 16
So will there be an offer holder day or something, if so then what are the details if anyone knows
Reply 17
Did anyone get the email for the application portal?
I want to upload my documents for my grades.
Reply 18
Original post by Abagyh
So will there be an offer holder day or something, if so then what are the details if anyone knows

I think they will contact us about that soon since they just sent the offers out.
Reply 19
Original post by Zhanae
Did anyone get the email for the application portal?
I want to upload my documents for my grades.

The details for the Newcastle Portal are in the confirmation email we got for applying back in October

Quick Reply

Latest