The Student Room Group

Help! List of Required Sociologists / Studies?

Does anybody have a list of names of sociologists / studies for the AQA A-level? The topics I'm doing are education, health, crime & deviance, beliefs in society, and theory & methods (but honestly I'll take anything).

I've actually made such a list myself for psychology, so if you also study that I'd be happy to upload it for you. ^.^ My optional topics for that are schizophrenia, relationships and forensics.

I've had (literally) about nine teachers throughout sixth form for sociology and psychology, and my current teacher is teaching for the first time ever. T__T I'm currently just trying to salvage a grade, but with two months 'till the real exams I don't have enough time to both learn the content and make resources. :'-)
Original post by pythonpy
Does anybody have a list of names of sociologists / studies for the AQA A-level? The topics I'm doing are education, health, crime & deviance, beliefs in society, and theory & methods (but honestly I'll take anything).

I've actually made such a list myself for psychology, so if you also study that I'd be happy to upload it for you. ^.^ My optional topics for that are schizophrenia, relationships and forensics.

I've had (literally) about nine teachers throughout sixth form for sociology and psychology, and my current teacher is teaching for the first time ever. T__T I'm currently just trying to salvage a grade, but with two months 'till the real exams I don't have enough time to both learn the content and make resources. :'-)

If im honest you dont need to memorise all these smaller sociologists and what they said, as long as you know the main ones with the bigger theories you will be fine. I sat my exams last year and rarely referred to any sociologists (except the main ones) and somehow came out with an A
Reply 2
Original post by jellycat2004
If im honest you dont need to memorise all these smaller sociologists and what they said, as long as you know the main ones with the bigger theories you will be fine. I sat my exams last year and rarely referred to any sociologists (except the main ones) and somehow came out with an A

Wow, I was under the impression that we had to be citing a sociologist or study for the vast majority of A01 / A03 points... Will bear that in mind, thank you. ^__^ And congrats on that A!
Original post by pythonpy

All you really need is a few key sociologists. People like Durkheim, Murray, Bowles and Gintis are good but don’t worry yourself about smaller sociologists. The most important part is learning key ideas as these will form the bulk of your essay. Yes it helps to sprinkle in a few sociologists names to look good but you won’t have to back up every idea with a name, if that makes sense. Maybe start with learning a couple of names for each sociological perspective that you think could be used in multiple areas. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest