The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Study abroad

Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any information or experience of studying abroad at Lancaster University. I have applied for English Literature with study abroad. I recently attended an offer holder day where I was told you normally apply for 5 places abroad and then it depends on places etc where you end up for your year abroad.When I have looked at the study abroad section for English literature on the website it only lists 4 countries that you can study in, America, Australia, Canada, and Switzerland, which are amazing countries, but I just thought there would be a lot more in Europe that would be available. I spoke to a couple of current students at the offer holder day who said they spent a year abroad in the Netherlands and another who spent a year in Denmark. If anyone has any information that would be great, many thanks in advance.
Original post by Calvi24
Hi, I just wondered if anyone had any information or experience of studying abroad at Lancaster University. I have applied for English Literature with study abroad. I recently attended an offer holder day where I was told you normally apply for 5 places abroad and then it depends on places etc where you end up for your year abroad.When I have looked at the study abroad section for English literature on the website it only lists 4 countries that you can study in, America, Australia, Canada, and Switzerland, which are amazing countries, but I just thought there would be a lot more in Europe that would be available. I spoke to a couple of current students at the offer holder day who said they spent a year abroad in the Netherlands and another who spent a year in Denmark. If anyone has any information that would be great, many thanks in advance.

hi if you click on this link https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ and filter out english in the subject theres some students that come up. might be worth asking them, as i bet they know someone in your course that does study abroad and point you in the right direction, perhaps even forwarding you query onto the right department.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Ghostlady
hi if you click on this link https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ and filter out english in the subject theres some students that come up. might be worth asking them, as i bet they know someone in your course that does study abroad and point you in the right direction, perhaps even forwarding you query onto the right department.

Many thanks 👍
Hey there!

I'm currently a 3rd year student, and although I study BSc Earth and Environmental Science, I spent my 2nd year studying abroad in Canada at the University of Waterloo, so I feel like I can still share my personal experience going through the study abroad process. If you are already registered on the study abroad variant of your course (i.e., it says 'Study Abroad' at the end of your degree title on UCAS) your department in Lancaster will send you a list of partners that are available to study abroad at in your outgoing year. As you've mentioned, the website has some that have been available in the past but this will change from year to year depending on the exchange agreements that are in place. Looking at my own course, there are definitely a few universities listed that I didn't have the opportunity to apply for, and some that I did have the opportunity to apply for that aren't listed.

This link below shows all of the partner universities that were open to students in 22/23, but this list may be quite a lot shorter based upon your course and which places have been allocated to your department, (e.g., my department the Lancaster Environment Centre only had places at Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and Iceland, but this may be different for English Literature.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/global-experiences/study-abroad-outgoing/2223-study-abroad-partners/

Also to note, when you are choosing your universities to study abroad at, it's based on a preference form, and you will rank your 3-5 top choices of university to study at and your departmental study abroad advisor will try to match you up with one of your choices to the best of their ability. There is no guarantee you will end up being allocated your top choice or even any of the choices you have selected though. As someone who did not get their top choice though, it really doesn't matter all that much where you go, the experience you have will be just as good!

Hope this helped,

^Harry (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey there!

I'm currently a 3rd year student, and although I study BSc Earth and Environmental Science, I spent my 2nd year studying abroad in Canada at the University of Waterloo, so I feel like I can still share my personal experience going through the study abroad process. If you are already registered on the study abroad variant of your course (i.e., it says 'Study Abroad' at the end of your degree title on UCAS) your department in Lancaster will send you a list of partners that are available to study abroad at in your outgoing year. As you've mentioned, the website has some that have been available in the past but this will change from year to year depending on the exchange agreements that are in place. Looking at my own course, there are definitely a few universities listed that I didn't have the opportunity to apply for, and some that I did have the opportunity to apply for that aren't listed.

This link below shows all of the partner universities that were open to students in 22/23, but this list may be quite a lot shorter based upon your course and which places have been allocated to your department, (e.g., my department the Lancaster Environment Centre only had places at Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and Iceland, but this may be different for English Literature.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/global-experiences/study-abroad-outgoing/2223-study-abroad-partners/

Also to note, when you are choosing your universities to study abroad at, it's based on a preference form, and you will rank your 3-5 top choices of university to study at and your departmental study abroad advisor will try to match you up with one of your choices to the best of their ability. There is no guarantee you will end up being allocated your top choice or even any of the choices you have selected though. As someone who did not get their top choice though, it really doesn't matter all that much where you go, the experience you have will be just as good!

Hope this helped,

This is all very helpful, thank you for taking the time to explain it all. Many thanks.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey there!

Hope this helped,

Hi, I was hoping you could help me answer a few questions in terms of studying in Canada. I was given the opportunity to study there too and I am currently in the process of acquiring visa. I don't know the length of how long you went, but did you require one and how did you go about it in terms of proof of funds?
Reply 6
Hi! I am currently a third-year history student at Lancaster University, and I also did study abroad in Canada last year - I was at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

When I applied for the study visa everyone was required to apply for one - regardless of whether you were going for one or two semesters, which I think they introduced for the first time following covid. I'm not sure if they've stopped that now but may I ask how long you're going for and where you are going?

For proof of funds one major one is your maintenance loans entitlement, I believe we also got a letter from our study abroad department where they confirmed our maintenance loans entitlement. I also had some savings and took copies of my bank statements. Your host university may also have some guidance on this, I know UBC does.

Please feel free to reach out with any more questions!
~ Georgia
Original post by glyoung
Hi! I am currently a third-year history student at Lancaster University, and I also did study abroad in Canada last year - I was at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

When I applied for the study visa everyone was required to apply for one - regardless of whether you were going for one or two semesters, which I think they introduced for the first time following covid. I'm not sure if they've stopped that now but may I ask how long you're going for and where you are going?

For proof of funds one major one is your maintenance loans entitlement, I believe we also got a letter from our study abroad department where they confirmed our maintenance loans entitlement. I also had some savings and took copies of my bank statements. Your host university may also have some guidance on this, I know UBC does.

Please feel free to reach out with any more questions!
~ Georgia

ive sent you a private message. please check it out and thank you so much for responding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending