The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Bath Vs Durham Maths

Hi guys, I have offers from both Bath and Durham for Maths and am trying to decide between the two! Any advice?
I might sound biased but my younger sister goes to Durham and is doing maths. Even though she's very good at it, she says she struggles quite a lot and the help is pretty minimal. I don't know much about Bath but maybe you could write down the positive and negative criteria for both and decide that way? :h:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by MeleA
Hi guys, I have offers from both Bath and Durham for Maths and am trying to decide between the two! Any advice?

My son is at Durham on the MMath integrated masters course, and is loving it. He thinks the lecturers are great, and is not finding the work too hard, although 1 module is a little more challenging than the others. He hasn't had to ask for any help, but feels like the lecturers are approachable, and would feel happy to ask if needed. The college system at Durham is Brilliant, so supportive, and the social side is excellent, they are so much more than halls of residence. Each college has their own societies, clubs and events, and their own bar!! Many are catered, which is excellent, as you don't have to worry about feeding yourself. My son has really come out of his shell, being at his college - Trevs, and has a much better social life than my other son who is at Uni in Sheffield. Durham itself is a lovely town, and very student friendly. Big vote for Durham here.
I have been to open days at both with my son. The big selling point for me about Bath Maths is the YII links, apparently about half of their Maths cohort do YII. If that interests you then it should be given higher consideration in your decision, however they are very different unis so I would say the biggest factor in deciding which to firm would be personality based, i.e. where you think you will feel more comfortable. I see a lot of kids putting other criteria as more important but at the end of the day your ability to feel settle in quicker, make friends and embrace the course a lot faster than somewhere you feel out of place should not be underestimated. I get that Warwick course has a better rep, Bath has the YII contacts etc. but I always felt my son would be best suited at Durham so I am pleased he is likely going to firm there (totally his choice!) regardless of the perceived "quality" of the degree compared to a few other unis.
Reply 4
Original post by Costajambo
I have been to open days at both with my son. The big selling point for me about Bath Maths is the YII links, apparently about half of their Maths cohort do YII. If that interests you then it should be given higher consideration in your decision, however they are very different unis so I would say the biggest factor in deciding which to firm would be personality based, i.e. where you think you will feel more comfortable. I see a lot of kids putting other criteria as more important but at the end of the day your ability to feel settle in quicker, make friends and embrace the course a lot faster than somewhere you feel out of place should not be underestimated. I get that Warwick course has a better rep, Bath has the YII contacts etc. but I always felt my son would be best suited at Durham so I am pleased he is likely going to firm there (totally his choice!) regardless of the perceived "quality" of the degree compared to a few other unis.

Interestingly my son has made the decision. He has offers for MMath from Warwick, Durham and Bath, and for him, Durham is the clear favourite as a uni. As they are all top unis for maths we feel that any of the 3 would be brilliant academically, so he is thinking about where he would most like to live. He likes the idea of the collegiate system and also loved the city of Durham so will firm D and put Bath as insurance.
Original post by MeleA

Go and visit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending