Estuary English- Does anyone know what it is? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jazzgal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
For english language a2, I have homework which is to research estuary english, can anyone give me any info about this no matter how detailed and if possible give me any useful web adresses to help me in my research? thanx.
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think it's what somebody decided to label the type of english spoken around london.. or anywhere near the thames estuary i.e. south east england. i suppose compared with other counties or regions of the country, or even other english speaking places all over the world, it might be more unique. not perhaps in the words or dialects used, but i think the rate at which it changes and adopts weird verb inflections might be of interest to those who study linguistic mutation over much longer periods of time.

i don't get what all the fuss is about really
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't it something to do with Oxford London Cambridge triangle accents. Like they use glottal stops but not between vowels, they use it in workds like bottle and gatwick. Do j-dropping and l vocalistation. I can't remember any more.
Powersymphonia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladydeborah)
Isn't it something to do with Oxford London Cambridge triangle accents. Like they use glottal stops but not between vowels, they use it in workds like bottle and gatwick. Do j-dropping and l vocalistation. I can't remember any more.

Thanks a lot ppl, this has really helped, and along with some stuff I've found myself I should be able to give a good english presentation.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed