The Student Room Group

Took driving instructor’s wing mirror off - he said I need to pay

A question for uk learner drivers
I had a driving lesson today and I had an accident, I took the wing mirror off when passing a parked car. Instructor said he’ll try to lower the price as much as possible but he’ll be in touch with how much I need to pay. Is this right? Do I need to pay? My previous driving instructor said if there was an accident then his insurance covers the damage

I feel like he’s trying to con me. This was the first lesson I ever had with the guy, I had about 50 lessons with my other instructor and he made sure I didn’t have any accidents by using the dual control. This guy today just tilted the steering wheel away from the parked car and it still hit it.
Reply 1
Look at the contract you signed with the school and what it says about damage caused which is below the excess.
Insurance doesn’t cover all damage caused to the vehicle you are driving if you are responsible for the damage. The school, or you, may have to pay the first £100 or £200 ( or any other amount stipulated in the contract when it was taken out) .
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
There’s no contract. There’s t&c but it doesn’t mention this. Also, the driving school is just like a medium between me and an instructor, he is self employed but he was assigned to me by the driving school if that makes sense
Original post by Euapp
Look at the contract you signed with the school and what it says about damage caused which is below the excess.
Insurance doesn’t cover all damage caused to the vehicle you are driving if you are responsible for the damage. The school, or you, may have to pay the first £100 or £200 ( or any other amount stipulated in the contract when it was taken out) .
Reply 3
Original post by emzie02
There’s no contract. There’s t&c but it doesn’t mention this. Also, the driving school is just like a medium between me and an instructor, he is self employed but he was assigned to me by the driving school if that makes sense

In which case I doubt that he could legally force you to pay. Depending on the type of wing mirror ( electric or manual, heated etc) it can cost anything from £50 to £1000. He will be insured for any damage you cause but depending on the contract there will be an amount, the excess, which he has to pay for the damage that he/ you are responsible for. I imagine that he is trying to get you to pay this. You haven’t signed a contract that accepts this possibility so he’ll have to pay it himself. If ever a contract that proposed to make you liable was signed things would be different, but NEVER sign a contract with a driving school like this. He has or should have insurance coverage for this kind of thing and chose the size of the excess, knowing the risks he was taking.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending