The Student Room Group

law

how do i prepare for first year law exams. like how do we know what the question will be. what topics do we revise?
Reply 1
No university lecturere will tell you. This was asked at my university (different subject). The reply was "this isn't school, it is up to you to read around your subject. We are not here to hold your hand"
Original post by kh2021
how do i prepare for first year law exams. like how do we know what the question will be. what topics do we revise?

It's always good to ask for past papers and attend any additional revision sessions that your University puts on. I always found that going back through my University notes and creating more condensed notes also helped.

Best of luck!
Rhian
Original post by kh2021

Preparing for first year law exams can be challenging, but with the right approach, you can set yourself up for success. Here are some tips to help you prepare:

Review your course materials: Go through your course structure, lecture notes, and any reading materials provided by your professors. Identify the key topics and concepts covered in each course.

Use past exam papers: Past exam papers are a valuable resource for understanding the types of questions that may be asked in the exam. Try to find past papers from your university. Practice answering the questions under timed conditions to get a sense of what you'll be facing in the actual exam.

Understand the format of the exam: Find out what format the exam will take. Will it be essay questions, multiple-choice questions, or a combination of both? Knowing the format of the exam will help you to prepare your revision strategy.

Work on your writing skills: Law exams often require essay-style answers, so it's important to develop your writing skills. Practice writing clear and concise answers, and focus on structuring your arguments effectively.

Seek feedback from your lecturers: Ask your lecturers for feedback on your essays and exam answers. This will help you to identify areas where you need to improve.

Revise key legal concepts: You should revise key legal concepts that you have learned usually in first year these are modules such as contract law, tort law, and constitutional law however focus on what you have been learning. These are likely to be covered in your first-year law exams.

Attend revision sessions: Attend any revision sessions provided by your law school if there is any. These can be very helpful in consolidating your knowledge and preparing you for the exam. If there is not any revision sessions, group studying is also a great way to revise and learn as being engaged with your course mates can sometimes enhance your learning!

Remember, preparation is key. Start your revision early and stay focused. Good luck with your first-year law exams!

Best Wishes,

Saba
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest