The Student Room Group

gym

hi,
on a treadmill for example, where it says calories burned, how accurate is that ? because it seems like quite a lot

idk if this helps the answer but im 5’2 & 55kg

thank you
Not really sure, but I don't imagine it would be very precise. Although it's a useful estimate? Maybe focus more on improving your fitness and worry less about calories - I don't think that's a particularly healthy approach to fitness, but of course I don't know why you are asking this question to being with.
Reply 2
Not too accurate, unless it allows you to enter factors like weight and height into the machine - but even then it will never be 100% accurate.
Depending on your goals look into the training zone by which you want to enter to achieve the most whilst you are on the treadmill!
Reply 3
Original post by hannahco
hi,
on a treadmill for example, where it says calories burned, how accurate is that ? because it seems like quite a lot

thank you

Not very. It may be a little more accurate if the machine knows your weight, height, age, sex, body composition etc. as well as heart rate and so on, but will still be pretty off. Same goes for "fitness" watches. The numbers they give you can be useful as a guide or comparison against other days, but I really don't think it's something to base your exercise around, or food intake for that matter. As @Serene Dreams so brilliantly said, you would be better to focus on fitness and feel rather than some numbers.
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Not very. It may be a little more accurate if the machine knows your weight, height, age, sex, body composition etc. as well as heart rate and so on, but will still be pretty off. Same goes for "fitness" watches. The numbers they give you can be useful as a guide or comparison against other days, but I really don't think it's something to base your exercise around, or food intake for that matter. As @Serene Dreams so brilliantly said, you would be better to focus on fitness and feel rather than some numbers.

Thank you and I also think you have offered brilliant advice, Blobby Mcblobface.
Original post by hannahco
hi,

thank you

I find they vastly overestimate the. i'd knock off like 25-30%

Quick Reply