The Student Room Group

Entry requirements

I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge (or another Russell Group uni) to study Computer Science but realised that not taking Further Maths was a big mistake as (my main choice is Oxford) they highly recommend it and many people say it's 99.99% essential. I've taken Maths & Computer Science as well as Business, but not sure how I can rectify this problem. My school does offer FM, so should I do an AS Level in Y13 (if that's even possible), or should I self-teach myself? For the latter, not sure how I'd demonstrate my self-taught ability though. I do have other qualities that might set me apart from applicants such as my wide range of supercurriculars and projects linked to Oxbridge and my 8+ years experience in Computer Science as a hobby.

Any advice appreciated! :smile:
Original post by SupremeMemer
I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge (or another Russell Group uni) to study Computer Science but realised that not taking Further Maths was a big mistake as (my main choice is Oxford) they highly recommend it and many people say it's 99.99% essential. I've taken Maths & Computer Science as well as Business, but not sure how I can rectify this problem. My school does offer FM, so should I do an AS Level in Y13 (if that's even possible), or should I self-teach myself? For the latter, not sure how I'd demonstrate my self-taught ability though. I do have other qualities that might set me apart from applicants such as my wide range of supercurriculars and projects linked to Oxbridge and my 8+ years experience in Computer Science as a hobby.

Hi there,

I'm a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. I just thought I would drop by and say we do offer computer science degrees that don't require Further Maths A-Level and it isn't even a requirement for our joint Computer Science and Maths degrees. If it is still a major worry to you that you could struggle we also extra support to those who are struggling in the mathematics parts of their degrees and I even know people who didn't take further maths A-Level but went on to do amazing in a maths degree so it definitely isn't a limiting factor here. We aren't a Russel group university which may worry you but we were still ranked 13th for Computer Science and Information Systems by The Guardian University League Tables 2023 so we are definitely one to consider. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have and either me or someone on a more similar course will be more than happy to answer them. I hope you end up somewhere you really love regardless because you definitely have a passion for the subject.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
i agree with the person above!^

Ask Oxford for advice. Sometimes if a school doesnt offer FM they dont hold it against you. Most universities dont require FM so other than a select few you will be fine.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I'm a third year Mathematics with Statistics student at Lancaster University. I just thought I would drop by and say we do offer computer science degrees that don't require Further Maths A-Level and it isn't even a requirement for our joint Computer Science and Maths degrees. If it is still a major worry to you that you could struggle we also extra support to those who are struggling in the mathematics parts of their degrees and I even know people who didn't take further maths A-Level but went on to do amazing in a maths degree so it definitely isn't a limiting factor here. We aren't a Russel group university which may worry you but we were still ranked 13th for Computer Science and Information Systems by The Guardian University League Tables 2023 so we are definitely one to consider. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have and either me or someone on a more similar course will be more than happy to answer them. I hope you end up somewhere you really love regardless because you definitely have a passion for the subject.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely note Lancaster down as one to look out for then!

Original post by swanseajack1
Ask Oxford for advice. Sometimes if a school doesnt offer FM they dont hold it against you. Most universities dont require FM so other than a select few you will be fine.

No, my school does offer it, but I didn't realise its importance in high demand universities until a few months into Y12.
Thanks for the info - I'll definitely note Lancaster down as one to look out for then!

No, my school does offer it, but I didn't realise its importance in high demand universities until a few months into Y12.

I suspect you wont get in to Oxford but is only a handful of universities require it so you will be fine in most places. I think maybe Oxbridge and Imperial and maybe 1 other.
Hello, that's great to hear! :smile: I'm a final-year Computer Science (CS) student at Lancaster and I didn't study advanced maths during high school. As Amy said, our university offers a CS degree without an A-level maths requirement because the university wants to emphasize that Computer Science is a very broad topic, and not all of them require maths (you might need more maths if you want to go into machine learning and artificial intelligence fields in the future).
Here is a link to the course structure of the CS degree at Lancaster University: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/#structure

I think it is also important to choose the town that you like when choosing a university because that place will be your second home for around three to four years in the future. Besides, looking at the societies available and the accommodation of the university will also help you in making decisions in the future. :smile:

All the best and have a nice weekend!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending