The Student Room Group

English a level

Hi, I’m interested in going to my schools sixthform, the only issue is they don’t do an English a level course which is a bit of a problem as I’m planning to study English lit at uni. I’m wondering if there’s any sort of English a-level course I could do online alongside my other a-level subjects (i would only be studying 3 subjects, two of them being a double award, so I wouldn’t be taking too much on). Thanks!
Original post by Erobinson98
Hi, I’m interested in going to my schools sixthform, the only issue is they don’t do an English a level course which is a bit of a problem as I’m planning to study English lit at uni. I’m wondering if there’s any sort of English a-level course I could do online alongside my other a-level subjects (i would only be studying 3 subjects, two of them being a double award, so I wouldn’t be taking too much on). Thanks!

I suggest you go to English Language teacher and discuss with her your intention to study A-Level Literature and if he/she would liaison with the exam officer to see if you can sit the exam in your schools sixthform. If they are agreeable to you sitting the exam with them. Perhaps see if they would allow you sit Cambridge International A level exam because that does not have any coursework. Other standard A-levels course providers courses have coursework and this needs authenticating. Let say the school was not willing o host you they have their result table think about it might be unwise to sit the A-level as a private candidate elsewhere because can exams clash.

As you know there are few distance learning provider. It is up to you to locate them by doing your own research. Some are probably already mentioned in other posts threads. Have a consideration that it will be your parents/yourself would be responsible for the course cost and exam fees. I don't know if you given your age would be allowed to do such A-level courses for free.I actually think you would be academically better served going to attend an educational establishment who do all your courses in your local area or where you attend live/recorded distance learning online lessons on a computer at your school.

However may not fit into your school timetable. Right now it is important to focus on getting the GCSE grades. After this decide between instance gratification or a careful considered approach and reaching long-term goal which is studying Literature at University. My bottom line and concern is the achieving the require prerequisite grades.

https://www.swanseacollege.com/courses/a-level-online-learning-courses

All the best...
:hello:

Would you be taking 3 subjects including or not including literature? If you are certain you want to study literature at uni, it is important to have English lit A level as most unis, I believe, require it. You could self-study it, which I did, but you would need a tutor to authenticate your coursework.
I'm quite baffled by a sixth form not having an A-Level English course. English is a popular and not at all obscure subject. :s-smilie:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'm quite baffled by a sixth form not having an A-Level English course. English is a popular and not at all obscure subject. :s-smilie:

Apparently it is becoming less popular though. Less popular than geography :eek4:

Does your school offer any English (e.g. language and literature combined)? Language+literature is often accepted when schools do not offer literature.

Quick Reply

Latest