The Student Room Group

Options help!!!

I am close to the date of picking my GCSE choices but I'm not sure and I am an overthinker. From experience, can someone tell me the easiest subjects and subjects that look good and make uni choices better, based on the difficulty of the exam and material (and the ones you and the ones you recommend for me), idk what I am going to do in the future, maybe medicine or investment baking but not sure...

Here are my options: these r compulsory
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish

Here r the ones I could pick:

- CREATIVES
Computer Science, Engineering, Food Preparation and Nutrition
- HUMANITIES
Business, Economics, Geography, History
- OTHER
Another Language, Another Creative, Another Humanities

could you go through the ones you have done and tell me more if possible and should I take further maths because it it optional but I am in set 1 so they said it would be good if I do it and maybe help me in the future...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please can you tell me how easy these subjects are based on exam and content difficulty and tell me more about them :
English Language
English Literature
Maths
further maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish
Computer Science/ Engineering
Business/ Economics/ Geography/ History

Here are the specs:
ENGLISH LANGUAGE Edexcel 1ENO
ENGLISH LITERATURE Edexcel 1ETO

MATHEMATICS AQA 8300
Further Mathematics AQA 8365

Biology AQA 8461
Chemistry AQA 8462
Physics AQA 8463

BUSINESS AQA 8132
COMPUTER SCIENCE AQA 8525
ECONOMICS AQA 8136
ENGINEERING AQA 8852

GEOGRAPHY AQA 8035
Spanish AQA 8698 1. Identity
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Nakyy_S
Please can you tell me how easy these subjects are based on exam and content difficulty and tell me more about them :
English Language
English Literature
Maths
further maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish
Computer Science/ Engineering
Business/ Economics/ Geography/ History

Further Maths is not a GCSE - it's a waste of time.

Look up the specs on the exam board websites.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Further Maths is not a GCSE - it's a waste of time.

Look up the specs on the exam board websites.

wdym is there no exam or does it not count?? and I have added the exam boards
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Nakyy_S
wdym is there no exam or does it not count?? and I have added the exam boards

I'm saying don't chose FMaths - it's just not needed at all. It's better to focus on the others and get 9s.

You need to read through the specs and see what the exams look like - we can't tell if you will enjoy them.
Reply 5
I'm saying don't chose FMaths - it's just not needed at all. It's better to focus on the others and get 9s.

You need to read through the specs and see what the exams look like - we can't tell if you will enjoy them.

ok thank you, do you find the specs on their website?
Original post by Nakyy_S
ok thank you, do you find the specs on their website?

Yes - you can find the specs and past papers.

For example AQA Maths: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300
Specification tells you what you will learn
Assessment resources - past papers - their Maths exams have some multiple choice questions which Edexcel do not have.
For my 3 choices I picked Computer Science, Triple Science and Geography. Comp and geo were chill, I actually enjoyed both of them a lot though I'd say comp is not for everyone. I'd recommend triple science if you're thinking of taking a science subject at A-Levels (I'm not sure from your list whether it's mandatory or if your school doesn't offer it?). Since you mentioned an interest in investment banking maybe you should choose business as your 2nd option.

I wouldn't worry too much though since most A-Level courses only require a certain grade usually in Maths, English or a science.
Reply 8
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
For my 3 choices I picked Computer Science, Triple Science and Geography. Comp and geo were chill, I actually enjoyed both of them a lot though I'd say comp is not for everyone. I'd recommend triple science if you're thinking of taking a science subject at A-Levels (I'm not sure from your list whether it's mandatory or if your school doesn't offer it?). Since you mentioned an interest in investment banking maybe you should choose business as your 2nd option.

I wouldn't worry too much though since most A-Level courses only require a certain grade usually in Maths, English or a science.

thank you!! triple science is mandatory, i don't like computer science but my dad says he could help as he is in IT and he said its very helpful but do you have do learn coding for CS or just theory and how hard is it In your opinion
Reply 9
Yes - you can find the specs and past papers.

For example AQA Maths: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/mathematics-8300
Specification tells you what you will learn
Assessment resources - past papers - their Maths exams have some multiple choice questions which Edexcel do not have.

Thank you
Original post by Nakyy_S
I am close to the date of picking my GCSE choices but I'm not sure and I am an overthinker. From experience, can someone tell me the easiest subjects and subjects that look good and make uni choices better, based on the difficulty of the exam and material (and the ones you and the ones you recommend for me), idk what I am going to do in the future, maybe medicine or investment baking but not sure...

English Language
English Literature
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish

- CREATIVES
- HUMANITIES
- OTHER

could you go through the ones you have done and tell me more if possible and should I take further maths because it it optional but I am in set 1 so they said it would be good if I do it and maybe help me in the future...

out of those i picked computer scienc and geography and im doing computer science rn as my alevels. If you wanna go into investment banking, then computer science and business could be an option for you, maybe economics. i have no idea what the medicine industry needs sorry.
For me i didnt find computer science hard, i was never good at coding and im not good now but i did enjoy the theory side. I do think the coding side of it makes the whole thing alot harder but at gcse the coding you need to know is very limited so i think you would be alright.
Reply 11
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
out of those i picked computer scienc and geography and im doing computer science rn as my alevels. If you wanna go into investment banking, then computer science and business could be an option for you, maybe economics. i have no idea what the medicine industry needs sorry.
For me i didnt find computer science hard, i was never good at coding and im not good now but i did enjoy the theory side. I do think the coding side of it makes the whole thing alot harder but at gcse the coding you need to know is very limited so i think you would be alright.

ty
Out of the ones you listed, I took geography and computer science. (Despite how it might seem, doing business or economics at gcse doesn't really give you that much of a step up towards something like investment banking, and you could even pick them up at university).

Computer science isn't too hard but it depends on if you're interested or not, and in exams, at most, they make you write pseudocode. Geography was also not too bad, as it mostly revolves around case studies.

In the end it really just depends on your preferences and interests.
Original post by fluous
Out of the ones you listed, I took geography and computer science. (Despite how it might seem, doing business or economics at gcse doesn't really give you that much of a step up towards something like investment banking, and you could even pick them up at university).

Computer science isn't too hard but it depends on if you're interested or not, and in exams, at most, they make you write pseudocode. Geography was also not too bad, as it mostly revolves around case studies.

In the end it really just depends on your preferences and interests.

CS has a nrew spec ...
CS has a nrew spec ...

oh... when the spec change happen? My gcse year was 2020 so understandable that my experience might be outdated.
Original post by fluous
oh... when the spec change happen? My gcse year was 2020 so understandable that my experience might be outdated.

first exam 2022
first exam 2022

Ah I see. My younger brother did his gcses last year so I'm surprised I wasn't aware of the changes lol.
Original post by fluous
Ah I see. My younger brother did his gcses last year so I'm surprised I wasn't aware of the changes lol.

He wouldn't know ...
He wouldn't know ...

...oh sorry. I just assumed because he did the exams in 2022.
Original post by Nakyy_S

English Language
English Literature
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Spanish

- CREATIVES
- HUMANITIES
- OTHER

In my opinion, don't bother with Business, Economics, Engineering or Food Preparation & Nutrition at GCSE - none of them will benefit you at this stage of your education.

I would say definitely pick at least one humanity (so Geography/History) and if you're happy with taking another essay subject you could even take 2, or RS if your school offers that option. On the other hand, if you prefer MFL to humanities then maybe pick a second language instead of a second humanity. For the third, I would say pick Computer Science - I know you said you dislike it but like you said you could ask your dad for help and he's right, it IS very helpful. However, if you think it may be too challenging for you/genuinely do not like the subject, I'd say pick Further Maths instead since you're in Set 1 anyway so it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

To sum up, I think the best options for you are:
1 humanity (Geography/History)
2nd humanity/language
Comp Sci/Further Maths

I personally took English Language, English Literature, Maths (my school didn't do Further Maths), Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, German, RS and Art Textiles.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest