Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Analysis if the iron(II) and iron (III) in a sample of an iron containing ore. My evil chemistry teacher has set this planning exercise for me to do for tomorrow afternoon.
    We have to plan an experiment to determine the proportions by mass of iron(II) and iron(III) in a sample of iron ore. It cantains impurites but they do not react. I was thinking about doing a titration with potassium manganate, and a reduction of Iron(III) using sulphuric acid and zinc.
    Any help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    please help us people- im doing the same planning exercise and its proving to be difficult :confused: :confused:

see you when i turn around these_apples

ReputationRep:
    What will be provided in your test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    What will be provided in your test?
    iron ore and standard lab equipment :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i found one website ...plz check this. Hope it can help
    http://www.cofc.edu/~kinard/221LCHEM...0of%20Iron.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BCHL85)
    Ok, i found one website ...plz check this. Hope it can help
    http://www.cofc.edu/~kinard/221LCHEM...0of%20Iron.htm
    myself and these_apples have been frantically searching the web for a clue towards how we're supposed to tackle this planning exercise. Your web-site has been the closest towards actually acheiving an answer.

it talks of reducing Fe(III) to Fe(II), but i think that if we were to reduce Fe(III), we would not be able to then calcalute the porportions of both ions present in the sample of iron ore.

this is the toughest piece of work i've had to deal with because the internet seems to not have the answer!

any more ideas? :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    hey these_apples, how about this site?

http://www.hmpublishing.com/hmplabsc...ScaleRedox.pdf

ReputationRep:
    How about split the sample into two (and assume they are equal in composition). Then use one to work out the Fe(II) content (using an oxidation titration) and then with the other one, reduce the Fe(III) first and then repeat the oxidation titration to see how much EXTRA Fe(II) is now present ... this gives you the Fe(III) that was present before you reduced it. You can then scale up your results to the original sample.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.