The Student Room Group

how many grades can i improve by in less than 2 months for gcse

i am currently studying triple science, english lang + lit, maths higher, astronomy, business and history. for my grades i have received mainly 3s and 4s and the occasional 5 and a 9 in business. in my first mocks two years ago i got 5+ in everything. for my future career i need at least an average of 7.3 with my sciences but i am not there yet. is it possible for me to improve my grades to reach 6+ and if so, how?
Original post by student2222777
i am currently studying triple science, english lang + lit, maths higher, astronomy, business and history. for my grades i have received mainly 3s and 4s and the occasional 5 and a 9 in business. in my first mocks two years ago i got 5+ in everything. for my future career i need at least an average of 7.3 with my sciences but i am not there yet. is it possible for me to improve my grades to reach 6+ and if so, how?

It definitely is. You just need to figure out if you're a visual/repetitive/rewrite kind of learner. Once you know, then it becomes easier. In terms of sciences, Cognito is really good for AQA science students (they do triple stuff too)
Business is a lot of practice (I didn't do it but my sister managed to get from being predicted a 4 to getting an 8 in her GCSEs)
Maths is just constant practice, same with any languages you study.
Never heard of astronomy being a GCSE.
History, flashcards is the way to go so you can remember all the dates.
For English Lit - I did a lot of quote explosions when revising but for you since you can still interact with your teachers is do essays (past paper essays work) for business, history, English lang + lit and get your teachers to mark it and give you feedback.

If you have any questions regarding exam structures, science questions or even if you need to pop a question on the website to understand it better, post another thread and the out of the many TSRians, there's bound to be a few that will answer your questions and help your understanding.
thank you so much! i honestly think i just need help with my sciences and maths and with maths i understand that practising will help me alongside past papers. for sciences, i just don’t know how to help myself. my class work is perfectly fine but when it comes to exams i always mess up. do you know how i can improve this?
thank you so much! i honestly think i just need help with my sciences and maths and with maths i understand that practising will help me alongside past papers. for sciences, i just don’t know how to help myself. my class work is perfectly fine but when it comes to exams i always mess up. do you know how i can improve this?

Use Edplace, get your parents to buy it, It's helped me go from a 7,7 in combined science to a 9,9
Reply 4

Doing lots of past papers can help you learn what the mark scheme is looking for in sciences (e.g. certain key words you MUST include in definitions). I personally found doing Seneca for my GCSE sciences very useful - it is free. On Seneca, I just redid all the topics I struggled with, and then did the End of Topic tests for them over and over again. I did this until all of the sections of that topic were 100%. (I mainly used Seneca for biology, but it was helpful for the other two)
Also, for Chemistry and Physics, I made for every topic a summary sheet (roughly 1-2 double sided A4 pages each) based on the textbook. This is because writing down everything I needed really helped ingrain it into my brain. I also made sure to use a colour scheme (e.g. definitions in red, equations in green, key words in purple), so I really had to think about what I was writing, rather than just copying the textbook word-for-word.
Finally, make sure to test yourself when doing past papers - do it under timed conditions to replicate the real thing, without any help or notes. If you're really struggling, maybe do a couple without test conditions first to ease yourself in.
(edited 1 year ago)
thank you! what grade did you receive in the end for those subjects?

Doing some practice questions will help you identify areas in need of improvement and what your strengths are:
Do this:

Do the past paper and say you did bad in evaluate question and any question to do with communicable diseases.

You will highlight that you need to practice more evaluate questions (exam technique) and revise a bit more on communicable diseases while generally revising other topics.

best thing you can do is start NOW! to identify gaps in your knowledge do past papers and mark them and make a list of all the topics you got wrong. then revise these topics using videos for understanding and flashcards/mindmaps for memorisation
do you think it’s possible for me to work my way from a 4 to 8/9?
Reply 9
thank you! what grade did you receive in the end for those subjects?

9, 9, 9 for the three sciences
It's totally possible. Don't let anxiety consume you! Plan those 2 months and stick with the revision plan (don't forget to schedule breaks from time to time, it's important), did you do all the past papers? If not, I recommend you to do an online mock. I started doing them a few weeks ago and it's been great, I've been chosen for grading 2 out of three times. Here - https://sndppynloq2.typeform.com/freemocktests?utm_source=tsr

What exactly are you messing up on? Don't just look at the marks you got and call it a day. Is it an issue with recall? Are you struggling to explain yourself in questions? Do you mess up the calculations?

Every time someone asks "is it possible to go from grade x to grade y", my answer is always the same: revise and find out.
calculations are fine as i’m quite strong with maths but i think it’s understanding specially what the question is asking me and using the right terms to answer what the mark scheme wants from me. in class i can do everything well but my mocks i always mess up

Heya!
It is possible with the correct revision and hard work :h: How do you currently revise? Do you do practice questions, make flashcards etc? Doing practice questions and going through the mark scheme and noting down how I can improve my answers for next time always helped me improve my grades, perhaps you'll find it useful as well.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
honestly hive been so drained so i’ve missed a whole week of revision:/

Quick Reply

Latest