The Student Room Group

medical schools

I am currently studying for a BSc (hons) degree in health sciences but I want to be a functional medicine practitioner. any Ideas of what I should be studying after and if it is medical school I should be attending. Or are there other avenues to check out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think most if not all functional medicine practitioner roles require you to get into medical school but you could look into becoming a physician associate. Hope this helps
Original post by Charlotte.C1
I want to be a functional medicine practitioner.

What exactly do you mean by this?
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check

I think it means they want to be a medical practitioner.
I want to be a functional medicine practitioner. It is a fairly new up-and-coming role but worthwhile. You don't just chuck a lot of pills at someone. Instead, you look at them and diagnose them. Then come up with things like physiotherapy, exercise, diet, acupuncture, iv of say, b12.. etc.. treating the root cause, not just the symptoms.
Original post by isa04
I think it means they want to be a medical practitioner.
Reply 5
I want to be a functional medicine practitioner. It is a fairly new up-and-coming role but worthwhile. You don't just chuck a lot of pills at someone. Instead, you look at them and diagnose them. Then come up with things like physiotherapy, exercise, diet, acupuncture, iv of say, b12.. etc.. treating the root cause, not just the symptoms.

Look at a more holistic approach one might say
Reply 6
According to my ISC book GPs tend to take more of a holistic approach to patient care

This is actually quite interesting, I hadn't heard of the term functional medicine before but falling into this rabbit hole was definitely intriguing.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide on a career in functional medicine specifically? A certain work experience?

I think these two links may be of use to you:
https://ncim.org.uk/training

https://medicfootprints.org/creating-a-successful-career-in-integrative-and-functional-medicine/

I think the National Centre for Integrative Medicine and College of Medicine jointly offer training courses and advice, where I think Functional Medicine falls under the umbrella of Integrative Medicine.

I hope this helps and would love to hear more about your journey into Functional Medicine! :hugs:
Thanks for this
Original post by Reality Check

I assume they mean one of the GPs who do PIP assessments and stuff?

I am currently studying for a BSc (hons) degree in health sciences but I want to be a functional medicine practitioner. any Ideas of what I should be studying after and if it is medical school I should be attending. Or are there other avenues to check out

If you do mean the above then to my knowledge it's doctors that do this (often GPs). @GANFYD might know a little more about it perhaps?

I'd also note whenever I see it mentioned by doctors they say it's pretty dreadful work as they get pressured a lot to clear people as fit to work (even if they aren't oftentimes), and then that person loses all their benefits when they are cleared as such (despite often still not being able to work). From what I've seen written about it, many start doing it for a couple months then leave. This seems to be from a mix of the workload being pretty high to the moral implications of some of it (or both).

Unless you are thinking of occupational health - which is a totally different field (probably a bit brighter in terms of outcomes too).
(edited 1 year ago)
It will be private medical health, people would pay a consultancy fee, I understand you need to have the sam licence as a dr but further studying on top. It is not to with people going back to work.
you look at them and diagnose them.

So you mean a doctor then?
Oh, hmm well according to wikipedia: "Functional medicine is a form of alternative medicine that encompasses a number of unproven and disproven methods and treatments". So obviously not what I thought it was :tongue:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Oh, hmm well according to wikipedia: "Functional medicine is a form of alternative medicine that encompasses a number of unproven and disproven methods and treatments". So obviously not what I thought it was :tongue:

Generally the term "functional" in medicine is applied when it cannot be shown medically what is causing the symptoms......
Original post by GANFYD
Generally the term "functional" in medicine is applied when it cannot be shown medically what is causing the symptoms......

Maybe the 'functional' in this case also applies to not being able to prove how the treatment works :smile:
Original post by GANFYD

Hmm, interesting to know!

I think I was thinking of "functional assessors".
Original post by GANFYD
So you mean a doctor then?

KInd of, but it is functional medicine not traditional
Reply 17
KInd of, but it is functional medicine not traditional

im a little confused but how would they both differ
I'm not sure but far more education goes into one than the other and larger pay
Original post by isa04
im a little confused but how would they both differ
Original post by isa04
I think most if not all functional medicine practitioner roles require you to get into medical school but you could look into becoming a physician associate. Hope this helps

A little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending