The Student Room Group

GCSE Poetry help

Can anyone help me with how I can improve this answer? The question is how poets present feelings towards family members in Climbing my Grandfather and Mother any Distance.

In Climbing my Grandfather, the poet presents their feelings toward family members using a variety of language techniques. For example, the persona uses his grandpa's 'glassy ridge of a scar' and 'traverses along his belt' to climb to his grandpa's head. This shows that children utilise their parents to progress through life, and the poet acknowledges that it was difficult for his grandpa to support him.
Mother, any Distance shares a similar view of parents with Climbing my Grandfather. For example, the persona's mother is at the 'zero-end' of the tape, and she is described as the 'base'.This shows that the poet has recognised that his mother is his supporting foundation, just like in Climbing my Grandfather
Original post by Solomon_S2
Can anyone help me with how I can improve this answer? The question is how poets present feelings towards family members in Climbing my Grandfather and Mother any Distance.

In Climbing my Grandfather, the poet presents their feelings toward family members using a variety of language techniques. For example, the persona uses his grandpa's 'glassy ridge of a scar' and 'traverses along his belt' to climb to his grandpa's head. This shows that children utilise their parents to progress through life, and the poet acknowledges that it was difficult for his grandpa to support him.
Mother, any Distance shares a similar view of parents with Climbing my Grandfather. For example, the persona's mother is at the 'zero-end' of the tape, and she is described as the 'base'.This shows that the poet has recognised that his mother is his supporting foundation, just like in Climbing my Grandfather

this is looking like a really good start, you've made some really good points and picked some great quotes.

the next thing i would suggest is just analysing a language technique from the quotes you've chosen- for example, the quotes you picked for Climbing my Grandfather both have language relating to journeys- 'ridge', 'traverse', etc., which is a really good link to the point you made about progressing through life with the grandfather.

if you wanted a really fancy way of phrasing it, you could say 'Waterhouse uses a lexis of journey and adventure to show how children utilise their parents etc.' (lexis basically just means the kind of words they use and the themes those words link to), but you could also just say 'Waterhouse uses language that relates to journeys to show etc.'

similarly, with the quotes you picked for Mother, Any Distance, you could talk about how the poet uses familiar objects like a measuring tape to show how familiar and comforting their mother's presence is, eg. 'Armitage refers to familiar objects, such as a measuring tape, to show the familiarity and comfort of his mother's presence. This shows that the poet has recognised etc.'

just adding a little bit of specific analysis should bump you up a few marks =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending