The Student Room Group

Further Maths A level

Hi, so basically I’m currently doing maths GCSE but my school didn’t offer further maths at GCSE level so I chose statistics instead.

I really don’t want to be at a disadvantage to students who did do further maths GCSE since I want to do FM for A level so does anyone have any tips/suggestions/resources for FM GCSE so I can try and go through the content after the exams? Is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance!
You won’t be behind, speaking from experience. Not many schools actually offer further maths GCSE and you’re pretty much taught from scratch anyways. Don’t stress and focus on getting good GCSE results!
Reply 2
Original post by PixiePresents
You won’t be behind, speaking from experience. Not many schools actually offer further maths GCSE and you’re pretty much taught from scratch anyways. Don’t stress and focus on getting good GCSE results!

Ah thanks for the response! Puts me more at ease. :smile:
Original post by subbhy
Ah thanks for the response! Puts me more at ease. :smile:

No worries, if you have any questions about how further maths A Level is, I’m happy to answer
Reply 4
No worries, if you have any questions about how further maths A Level is, I’m happy to answer

Hi, also is FM manageable? I sometimes worry that I won’t be able to understand the content and won’t be able to think logically enough to answer questions. With dedication, is all the content accessible and understandable?

And do you know when graph theory is taught? Is it beyond a level? Thanks a lot.
Original post by subbhy
Hi, also is FM manageable? I sometimes worry that I won’t be able to understand the content and won’t be able to think logically enough to answer questions. With dedication, is all the content accessible and understandable?

And do you know when graph theory is taught? Is it beyond a level? Thanks a lot.

Sorry, just seen this, I would say it’s quite manageable, just like any other A Level, but depends if you’re doing it part of a 4 or 3 A Level course. Personally, I believe maths and further maths feel more like one BIG A Level rather than 2 A Levels (even though you’ll have separate exams.)

By the time that you finish further maths you’ll probably need little revision on A Level maths because of the extensive nature of further maths. The content is very accessible with practise, start to think about about which modules you’d like to do, personally I just stuck to what my school offered (further stats and mechs) and the mechanics side of it I found very difficult considering I dont also do physics, so that’s something to consider as well.

Graph theory is not taught in core pure, however I believe it may be taught in further pure, but im not entirely sure.

Hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by subbhy
Hi, so basically I’m currently doing maths GCSE but my school didn’t offer further maths at GCSE level so I chose statistics instead.

I really don’t want to be at a disadvantage to students who did do further maths GCSE since I want to do FM for A level so does anyone have any tips/suggestions/resources for FM GCSE so I can try and go through the content after the exams? Is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Heya!
Don't worry, you won't be disadvantaged or fall behind just because you didn't do FM GCSE :h: Focus on your current exams and choose FM a-level when you need to choose alvls.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Don't worry, you won't be disadvantaged or fall behind just because you didn't do FM GCSE :h: Focus on your current exams and choose FM a-level when you need to choose alvls.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks a lot! This does help.

Quick Reply

Latest