The Student Room Group

eng lit

I joined year 10 half way through and i am new to the gcse exam type since i was in abroad and because i joined in the middle i missed almost two of the novels that was covered (animal farm, christmas carol) i struggle with finding the right quotes for each character and theme and i didnt really recieve any help from my teachers. they also want me to write the lit paper on may this year. can someone tell me how i can find the right quotes it just when i go to google each website gives different quotes and at the end i end up doing 20 to 24 quotes per character and i dont have time for it because my paper is two months away and i still have to do poem and shakespere.
Reply 1
Original post by dd29
I joined year 10 half way through and i am new to the gcse exam type since i was in abroad and because i joined in the middle i missed almost two of the novels that was covered (animal farm, christmas carol) i struggle with finding the right quotes for each character and theme and i didnt really recieve any help from my teachers. they also want me to write the lit paper on may this year. can someone tell me how i can find the right quotes it just when i go to google each website gives different quotes and at the end i end up doing 20 to 24 quotes per character and i dont have time for it because my paper is two months away and i still have to do poem and shakespere.

Hey!

I sat my GCSE exams in 2021 (well, I didn't actually sit any final exams because they were cancelled because of covid, but you know what I mean) and two Youtube channels that really helped me were:
1. Mr Bruff
2. Mr Salles Teaches English.
(there is a third but I can't find her channel anywhere? I'll look harder and get back to you soon).
There's also genius lyrics: https://genius.com/Charles-dickens-a-christmas-carol-part-1-annotated
I read A Christmas Carol as part of my course but not Animal Farm. I know that both Youtubers cover Christmas Carol but I can't speak for Animal Farm!! I watched their videos and made notes on each theme (for example, in ACC: poverty, redemption...) and wrote down any annotations of the quotes that I found interesting. It really helped me to feel less overwhelmed, and kept me organised with my quote and theme analysis.

I will say that I never stuck to a strict rule of 'the right quote' for a certain theme - I found that part of gaining high marks was the ability to think outside the box and explain your thought process/annotate in a unique way that will impress the person marking your exam paper. If most students suggested the same quote for the essay, it will be refreshing for the examiner to see a different quote and a really unique explanation.

I understand that it's stressful - there are so many websites giving so many quotes for so many themes and it's hard to know what to stick to. It might help build a 'quote file' for each character and organise it into themes, e.g Scrooge (poverty), Scrooge (redemption)..

In terms of remembering the quotes for the final exam - I wrote them on flashcards and on the other side the annotation. My dad quizzed me on them and I tried to teach him the analysis (which helps, because you hear yourself think in the process and you can spot any weak points in your understanding).

I hope this was helpful.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by coolcat24
Hey!

I sat my GCSE exams in 2021 (well, I didn't actually sit any final exams because they were cancelled because of covid, but you know what I mean) and two Youtube channels that really helped me were:
1. Mr Bruff
2. Mr Salles Teaches English.
(there is a third but I can't find her channel anywhere? I'll look harder and get back to you soon).
There's also genius lyrics: https://genius.com/Charles-dickens-a-christmas-carol-part-1-annotated
I read A Christmas Carol as part of my course but not Animal Farm. I know that both Youtubers cover Christmas Carol but I can't speak for Animal Farm!! I watched their videos and made notes on each theme (for example, in ACC: poverty, redemption...) and wrote down any annotations of the quotes that I found interesting. It really helped me to feel less overwhelmed, and kept me organised with my quote and theme analysis.

I will say that I never stuck to a strict rule of 'the right quote' for a certain theme - I found that part of gaining high marks was the ability to think outside the box and explain your thought process/annotate in a unique way that will impress the person marking your exam paper. If most students suggested the same quote for the essay, it will be refreshing for the examiner to see a different quote and a really unique explanation.

I understand that it's stressful - there are so many websites giving so many quotes for so many themes and it's hard to know what to stick to. It might help build a 'quote file' for each character and organise it into themes, e.g Scrooge (poverty), Scrooge (redemption)..

In terms of remembering the quotes for the final exam - I wrote them on flashcards and on the other side the annotation. My dad quizzed me on them and I tried to teach him the analysis (which helps, because you hear yourself think in the process and you can spot any weak points in your understanding).

I hope this was helpful.

Best of luck :smile:

Thank you so much
I can't say how glad I am for this response, for the first time I felt like I had a legit advice

Quick Reply

Latest