The Student Room Group

Physic foundation year

Hi everyone
Does anybody have knowledge about physic foundation year and the estimation percentage of people that pass the foundation year and go to the first year?
I am currently doing physic and chemistry and biology A level and chose completely different course for my Ucas choice than physic . Now I’m completely hesitant about it and I would like to go for physics degree .
Do you think someone without maths A level knowledge can make it and pass the foundation year and does it worth ?
I have great physics knowledge and predicted A* but my mistake of not taking maths A level put me off .
Reply 1
Foundation years are meant to teach level 3 content that prepares you for level 4 content. It bridges the gap between GCSE and university. If I'm not mistaken, as long as you have GCSE Maths knowledge, you should be fine. Perhaps, you could email them and ask for a copy of the modules you'll be studying.
Reply 2
If you are taking Physics A level why are you thinking of applying for a Physics Foundation year?
Reply 3
Hi
Because I don’t have qualification of maths A level and it is essential for all physics course in university.

Original post by McGinger
If you are taking Physics A level why are you thinking of applying for a Physics Foundation year?
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply 😊😊
Do you have knowledge about foundation year ?
Is it harder to get into uni than normal path of applying straight for 3 years course and also does many people make it to first year after foundation year ?

Original post by DarylO
Foundation years are meant to teach level 3 content that prepares you for level 4 content. It bridges the gap between GCSE and university. If I'm not mistaken, as long as you have GCSE Maths knowledge, you should be fine. Perhaps, you could email them and ask for a copy of the modules you'll be studying.
Reply 5
Original post by Koorosh82
Thanks for your reply 😊😊
Is it harder to get into uni than normal path of applying straight for 3 years course and also does many people make it to first year after foundation year ?

Honestly, I don't know that much about foundation years, not as much as some of the teachers on here. The little I know is because I considered it as an alternative route to uni. I know it's supposed to be for those with either low level 3 grades or the wrong level 3 subjects. That means they teach everybody level 3 content. They wouldn't start level 4 content for people who haven't even learned the subject at level 3. Some people in that foundation year won't have Physics or Maths A Levels like you.

As for the progression, it depends on the uni and how much space they have. From what I've heard, the higher the uni's reputation, the tougher it will be to progress because a lot of the students doing a foundation year there will be those capable of getting A's and A*'s. The pass mark will be high. For some unis, you could be fighting for a pre-determined, limited number of spaces. You can check the uni's website to see what their individual progression policies are. I believe most unis guarantee a place as long as you get a certain grade at the end of the year.
Reply 6
Original post by Koorosh82
Thanks for your reply 😊😊

Whichever progression policy they have, if you put your head down and work hard, you'll get a place on the course. Just believe in yourself and do your best. I doubt they'll turn away someone who does well and shows an ability to handle the workload.

Quick Reply

Latest