The Student Room Group

Should I bring my PC to my university dorm?

I've recently gotten some offers for a computer science degree from some UK universities. Whilst thinking of accommodation, I was wondering if it is necessary to bring my Desktop PC to my student dorm. I already have a Macbook Air and iPad Mini, but sometimes I use my PC while studying. Also, some programs aren't available on the Mac either.

Should I still bring a desktop PC or not? I live overseas, so I would have to ship the PC if ever
Can't you bring a Windows laptop instead? Shipping a desktop PC is a PITA
A cheap reconditioned 'business class' windows laptop would be suitable - you could buy that in your first weeks in the UK

Morgan computer is a vendor I trust but there are cheaper places as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Nautilus
Can't you bring a Windows laptop instead? Shipping a desktop PC is a PITA

I dont have a windows laptop, just a MacBook air if that countes
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
A cheap reconditioned 'business class' windows laptop would be suitable - you could buy that in your first weeks in the UK

Morgan computer is a vendor I trust but there are cheaper places as well.

Hmm thanks for the link, I think its best to get a new cheaper one, I'll definitely note this down
Never felt a need for a PC. Still using my HP laptop and am in my final year. Macbook Air and iPad mini are enough honestly and usually universities have 24 hour computer rooms open so if there is a modelling or simulation(i.e. strenous tasks) task then you could do those there.
Original post by nathanshi
I've recently gotten some offers for a computer science degree from some UK universities. Whilst thinking of accommodation, I was wondering if it is necessary to bring my Desktop PC to my student dorm. I already have a Macbook Air and iPad Mini, but sometimes I use my PC while studying. Also, some programs aren't available on the Mac either.

Should I still bring a desktop PC or not? I live overseas, so I would have to ship the PC if ever

I took a desktop PC to university when I was a student (which was a long time ago). It was a major pain moving it to-and-from university when I needed to. These days, I'd be considering getting a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and plugging them into a laptop (or tablet) -- you'd just need to make sure you've got compatible connections.

I have a tablet with a USB-C port; into that USB-C port I plug a mini dock with Ethernet, VGA, HDMI, and one USB 2 port; in the USB 2 port I have a mini USB 2 hub to which I connect a keyboard, a mouse, and a headset.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending