The Student Room Group

commuting

Does anyone know if its possible to commute from sheffield to manchester everyday for lectures? Im in 16 hours a week but I don’t know if i should book an accom or stay at home
Hi, can I suggest you book an accom. Whilst technically you could commute and Manchester is expensive, you may find it so much more enjoyable to immerse yourself in a new city, and being close by will mean you can interact with the uni so much more, like student union events etc. You may enjoy this a lot more and it would make your day to day easier as constantly having a long commute could result in a lot of lateness and absences which would show you in a bad light.
I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Joseph - University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know if its possible to commute from sheffield to manchester everyday for lectures? Im in 16 hours a week but I don’t know if i should book an accom or stay at home

How will you commute? By public transport, or by car?

You need to consider how long it will take you to get from your home to where your lectures take place -- factoring in everything from when you close your front door to when you sit down in a lecture theatre.

So that includes (for travel by rail) the time taken to get from home to the station, from Sheffield to Manchester, then from the station at the other end to your lectures. And ditto in reverse. Look at the cost of the tickets.

For driving, you'd need to factor in finding somewhere to park in Manchester and the time taken to get to the lectures from where you've parked. Also, you'd need to look at the availability and cost of parking spaces.

What time would you need to leave the house for a lecture starting at 9am? What time would you get home if you had a lecture that finished at 6pm?

Finally, if (say) you had only one lecture on a particular day, would you have the self-discipline to go in and attend the lecture? Or would you be tempted not to bother due to the length of the commute?

Hey,

I think @martin7 has done a great job of going through lots of the factors you'll need to consider about commuting a longer distance so I won't repeat them, but as another factor to consider if you're getting public transport - how reliable are the train lines running through the Pennines? As someone who's made that journey quite a bit, I know the trains can be cancelled/delayed frequently, so could have a knock on impact on your studying and attendance. Take a look at what the service is usually like to see if you think its feasible!

One more thing I'd suggest thinking about is your mental health whilst commuting. Although it might not seem too bad, I know how tiring long journeys can be, and after a full week of going in for classes are you going to be able to commit time to doing things you enjoy? Will you have enough time for assignments and be able to keep up with your readings, or will all of your free time become university work? Its a lot to balance, and I'd likely say you'd find it quite difficult, as the majority of people would in that situation. University isn't just about getting the degree (although that's obviously really important!), its also about the experiences and enjoyment you get from being a student! I'd personally worry you'd miss out on doing fun things alongside your degree if you spent such a large chunk of your day commuting, so if you can look into accommodation in Manchester I'd definitely recommend it. Its a fantastic student city with so much going on (I can attest to that personally!), and there are lots of different types of accommodation to suit all budgets.

Let me know if you've got any questions - as someone who's based in Manchester, I'm happy to have a chat about our wonderful city and advise on options!

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Hey there!
If I've ever heard anything about Manchester accommodation, it's that it runs out really quickly if you don't book in advance. I would consider looking at some and seeing what finance option you'd get. 16 hours a week sounds like a lot to be commuting and the travel tickets would be very expensive in the long run, especially considering how unreliable the trains are being at the moment. Train tickets from Manchester to Sheffield are only around £7-£9 and you could go home on weekends if you really wanted. I think for less than 16 hours I would have said commuting is fine but that seems like a lot to be back and forth and there may be gaps between all your lectures where you'd be stuck. Think about it like 16 ours is the top end of a part-time job. Would you commute into a job for 16 hours in a different city every week? Probably not. You'd either move to that city or get a job in the place you live.

Have a look over your options and see what accommodations are out there for you.
Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest