The Student Room Group

Spectroscopy

I need help with this concept.
Equivalent protons are attached to the same carbon atom are equivalent. And produce one single peak on the 1H NMR. Therefore are singlets no matter how many Hs are on the Adjacent C atom they’re attached to.

So I don’t understand why this isn’t singlets for the part where my teacher wrote triplet

C1942B2A-0B9B-4A8F-8AF2-D6C2C02EA9BA.jpeg

Also is this pic correct? :
D675F19B-FB1F-4221-9B7D-F6CCA04FFFBE.jpeg
Why is are the Hs in the middle both singlets as they’re attached to a Carbon with 2 Hs making them a triplet??
I’m so confused plz help…

Also with this why is b a triplet because it’s attached to a carbon with one H meaning it’s a doublet right??? :

6EEEC3AC-FA03-49D2-91C3-9350FA4EF1AD.jpeg

I drew the structural:
956CDF17-6ED4-4372-93A2-0463AE17C43A.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
The first one the teacher is right. I don't agree with the wording of the equivalent protons statement. In the second one the two CH2 groups are identical, so don't split each other, and not split by the COOH as H is 3 atoms away.
In the third example b is triplet because the cyclic C is CH2. Draw displayed formula to illistrate.
How many bonds has each C in your attempt at the displayed formula?
I think the original statement should not have the final part about singlets. Equivalent Hs produce a single peak (which may be split). Might be a little clearer. Let me know if you need more help.

Quick Reply

Latest