The Student Room Group

OCR Certificate not accepted

Hi all, I'm very new here and have a question that I hope you can maybe help me with.
I am currently employed at my local NHS Trust as a Band 3 HCA, and I've just been accepted on to the Trainee Nurse Associate Apprenticeship programme, fully funded by my employers.
However, when I went to the welcome morning at the university, I was told that my maths certificate was not recognised by the university and that I had to sit a maths GCSE in 8 days time to secure my place on the course..
I'm totally confused because it was this particular university who issued me the certificate in the first place as part of an access to nursing course. Plus the Apprenticeship team at work has already checked my certificate and they recognise it.
I'm totally stumped and I've emailed OCR numerous times and had no reply.
It's an OCR Key Skills Level 2 Application of Number Certificate.
My place of work have already been sent a new contract for me to sign to say I'm no longer employed as a HCA, as I'm now employed as an apprentice. So my HCA job has already been advertised for a replacement.
Thanks in advance 🙏
Original post by Maximax26
Hi all, I'm very new here and have a question that I hope you can maybe help me with.
I am currently employed at my local NHS Trust as a Band 3 HCA, and I've just been accepted on to the Trainee Nurse Associate Apprenticeship programme, fully funded by my employers.
However, when I went to the welcome morning at the university, I was told that my maths certificate was not recognised by the university and that I had to sit a maths GCSE in 8 days time to secure my place on the course..
I'm totally confused because it was this particular university who issued me the certificate in the first place as part of an access to nursing course. Plus the Apprenticeship team at work has already checked my certificate and they recognise it.
My place of work have already been sent a new contract for me to sign to say I'm no longer employed as a HCA, as I'm now employed as an apprentice. So my HCA job has already been advertised for a replacement.
Thanks in advance 🙏

You say that you've "been accepted on to the Trainee Nurse Associate Apprenticeship programme". Were they any conditions attached to that acceptance. For example, did you they, "Subject to confirmation of your existing qualifications", or something like that? Or was it an outright acceptance?

Were there any prerequisites specified in terms of required qualifications? Did those requirements mention GCSE Maths? Did it say something like, "GCSE Maths or equivalent required", and the debate is whether or not your OCR Key Skills Level 2 Application of Number Certificate is equivalent to a GCSE? Did they specify a particular GCSE grade was required?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to establish if the issue is simply that your certificate is a suitable equivalent for whatever their GCSE requirement is, but they're simply not aware of this particular qualification.
Thanks in advance 🙏

As well as @DataVenia excellent post, this is what the NHS health careers says about 'entry requirements'
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 17.18.47.png

As you can see, it clearly says that Functional skills L2 is acceptable. OCR has now withdrawn all functional skills qualifications (except in ICT), but your certificate is still valid.

Have you asked the uni exactly why the certificate is not accepted?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You say that you've "been accepted on to the Trainee Nurse Associate Apprenticeship programme". Were they any conditions attached to that acceptance. For example, did you they, "Subject to confirmation of your existing qualifications", or something like that? Or was it an outright acceptance?

Were there any prerequisites specified in terms of required qualifications? Did those requirements mention GCSE Maths? Did it say something like, "GCSE Maths or equivalent required", and the debate is whether or not your OCR Key Skills Level 2 Application of Number Certificate is equivalent to a GCSE? Did they specify a particular GCSE grade was required?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to establish if the issue is simply that your certificate is a suitable equivalent for whatever their GCSE requirement is, but they're simply not aware of this particular qualification.

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. Yes the initial acceptance letter said the offer was subject to qualifications etc. However it lists level 2 Functional Skills as GCSE maths equivalent.
Subsequent letters are simply congratulating me for being accepted on to the programme.
Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. Yes the initial acceptance letter said the offer was subject to qualifications etc. However it lists level 2 Functional Skills as GCSE maths equivalent.
Subsequent letters are simply congratulating me for being accepted on to the programme.

So it seems that the university are not happy with your OCR Key Skills Level 2 Application of Number Certificate counting as Functional Skills Level 2 in maths, even though the apprenticeship team at your work recognise it.

I suggest that your best approach is to enlist the help of the apprenticeship team where you work, and to have them try to persuade the university that if it is acceptable to them, then it should be acceptable to the university. Or, failing that, perhaps some compromise can be reached where you can begin the apprenticeship but with the condition that you gain a qualification that the university is happy with within a set time-frame (6 months, 12 months, or whatever).

I think this may be a fight you won't win on your own, which is why I'm suggesting getting your apprenticeship team involved. One could argue that it's their mistake (not knowing the university's entry requirements) which has put you in this predicament.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
So it seems that the university are not happy with your OCR Key Skills Level 2 Application of Number Certificate counting as Functional Skills Level 2 in maths, even though the apprenticeship team at your work recognise it.

I suggest that your best approach is to enlist the help of the apprenticeship team where you work, and to have them try to persuade the university that if it is acceptable to them, then it should be acceptable to the university. Or, failing that, perhaps some compromise can be reached where you can begin the apprenticeship but with the condition that you gain a qualification that the university is happy with within a set time-frame (6 months, 12 months, or whatever).

I think this may be a fight you won't win on your own, which is why I'm suggesting getting your apprenticeship team involved. One could argue that it's their mistake (not knowing the university's entry requirements) which has put you in this predicament.

Yes, I think that will be my next step. The apprenticeship team at work are fab and very approachable. Fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest