The Student Room Group

oxford english lang & lit or music?

hiii everyone - I'm currently an IB Year 1 student studying Eng A Lit, History and Music at HL (equivalent to A2 Level). I have similar levels of passion, grades and amount of supra-curriculars for both English Literature and Music, which make the whole decision challenging as I would love to study both at teritary level if possible. Therefore, should I apply to english or music? Or should I simply apply to the organ scholarship to fulfil my passion in music?
Hiya,

There are almost certainly unis that will allow you to do joint honours. Don't feel you have to compromise and pigeonhole yourself into one, just for the sake of applying/going to Oxford. Far more important to be happy with your decision and thrive at uni! :yep:

Something I would say (as an Oxford music alumna) is that studying music at Oxford or Cambridge is extremely different to how and what you study during music A Level or music IB. The course has changed since I was there (which is really good!) but it's still very academic and full of lofty conceptual thinking (musicology and ethnomusicology), rather than a lot of playing your instrument(s) or composing, when compared to a lot of other unis.

So if you're hellbent on applying to Oxford (though I would really caution against such mentality!), look carefully at the course content and structures of both degrees. Also consider how fast you can read, as - while no degree at Oxford is easy - you have to read very fast for the English Lit course. Afaik, you also have to study Old English during the English Lit degree - which you can avoid at other unis, if you are not so keen on that.
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya,

There are almost certainly unis that will allow you to do joint honours. Don't feel you have to compromise and pigeonhole yourself into one, just for the sake of applying/going to Oxford. Far more important to be happy with your decision and thrive at uni! :yep:

Something I would say (as an Oxford music alumna) is that studying music at Oxford or Cambridge is extremely different to how and what you study during music A Level or music IB. The course has changed since I was there (which is really good!) but it's still very academic and full of lofty conceptual thinking (musicology and ethnomusicology), rather than a lot of playing your instrument(s) or composing, when compared to a lot of other unis.

So if you're hellbent on applying to Oxford (though I would really caution against such mentality!), look carefully at the course content and structures of both degrees. Also consider how fast you can read, as - while no degree at Oxford is easy - you have to read very fast for the English Lit course. Afaik, you also have to study Old English during the English Lit degree - which you can avoid at other unis, if you are not so keen on that.

Thanks so much for the reply! I understand that the two disciplines I truly enjoy are totally different and I have to make a wise decision to choose a discipline for my university degree. After some consideration, I have chosen to read English Lang & Lit at Oxford while also applying to the organ scholarship to fulfil my passion and interest in performing music! Old English seems fascinating to me (although I haven't exposed to it before) :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much for the reply! I understand that the two disciplines I truly enjoy are totally different and I have to make a wise decision to choose a discipline for my university degree. After some consideration, I have chosen to read English Lang & Lit at Oxford while also applying to the organ scholarship to fulfil my passion and interest in performing music! Old English seems fascinating to me (although I haven't exposed to it before) :biggrin:

Wishing you the best of luck for your application :yep:
Original post by Anonymous

In that case you may find this webpage useful/interesting in terms of OE: http://wpwt.soton.ac.uk/notes/grammar.htm

It gives a basic rundown of terminology relating to learning languages like OE, and then has a section about OE. Often the biggest hurdle in studying an ancient (well, relatively in the case of OE) language is learning the metalanguage of how to study it! But studying texts in their original form lets you appreciate certain literary devices much more than reading them in a modernised/translated version so it's well worth the effort :smile:

Although I'd note the above website uses some old-fashioned spelling (inflexion rather than inflection) :tongue: It is also a little dry but, it gives you at least a bit of an overview so you can start thinking about grammatical constructions more formally (which is essential in translating from ancient languages, including OE which is different enough from Modern English that it's worth thinking of as translating first and foremost).

Quick Reply

Latest