The Student Room Group

i find my favourite subject hardest

Is it weird that I like the field business/economics but I also find A Level economics the hardest out of my three subjects? I’m sort of struggling to get an A while I’m on track to get A*A* for the other two subjects.

I already applied to business/economics courses and got offers but this is making me doubt myself. Am I actually capable of doing the course?

I enjoy my other two subjects too but I could never imagine myself spending 3 years learning them at university level.
Original post by anan0405
Is it weird that I like the field business/economics but I also find A Level economics the hardest out of my three subjects? I’m sort of struggling to get an A while I’m on track to get A*A* for the other two subjects.

I already applied to business/economics courses and got offers but this is making me doubt myself. Am I actually capable of doing the course?

I enjoy my other two subjects too but I could never imagine myself spending 3 years learning them at university level.

Business/econ at uni is different to A-level econ. Econ at uni is much more mathematical, so make sure to brush up your Maths.

Bottom line: If you meet the requirements, you are capable, period. Unis won't admit students if they don't think they will be capable.
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
Business/econ at uni is different to A-level econ. Econ at uni is much more mathematical, so make sure to brush up your Maths.

Bottom line: If you meet the requirements, you are capable, period. Unis won't admit students if they don't think they will be capable.

thanks for the reassurance :smile:

I do have A* predicted in maths. I just think it’s unusual that I can’t get higher grades in my favourite field. Maybe it’s that essay subjects like economics are harder to get high grades… I get low Bs and even high Cs a lot (with thresholds they would actually be As but I’m still worried)

I do have A* predicted in maths. I just think it’s unusual that I can’t get higher grades in my favourite field. Maybe it’s that essay subjects like economics are harder to get high grades… I get low Bs and even high Cs a lot (with thresholds they would actually be As but I’m still worried)

How's your personal exam structure like for A-Level Economics? Do you mention the assumptions or evaluation points for every paragraph you do? How's your conclusion like, does it involve stakeholders, alternative policies, short run vs long run, priorities, the magnitude of the issue, elasticity?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tamim5907
How's your personal exam structure like for A-Level Economics? Do you mention the assumptions or evaluation points for every paragraph you do? How's your conclusion like, does it involve stakeholders, alternative policies, short run vs long run, priorities, the magnitude of the issue, elasticity?

I try to draw and explain as many diagrams as possible (are diagrams always good?). I try to analyze and evaluate every point I make too.

I also find data response questions hard because in the mark scheme there are so many points they got from the extract that when I do I could never link them to the questions.
I try to draw and explain as many diagrams as possible (are diagrams always good?). I try to analyze and evaluate every point I make too.

I also find data response questions hard because in the mark scheme there are so many points they got from the extract that when I do I could never link them to the questions.

I draw 2/3 diagrams at maximum for the 25 markers (I do AQA Alevel Eco) and get on average 20 marks. Drawing anymore than 2/3 diagrams is a waste of time as there's no need. Make sure to define, make your point and explain it then draw a diagram and explain what's occuring on the diagram linking it to your chain of analysis, provide positives and negatives then evaluate for every paragraph. For the data response questions on AQA you have to define, pick 2 key pieces of information from the extract then apply it to theory (chains of analysis), it's not about how many things you can identify from the data given but rather picking specific data which you analyse and break down with economic theory.
Reply 6
Original post by Tamim5907
I draw 2/3 diagrams at maximum for the 25 markers (I do AQA Alevel Eco) and get on average 20 marks. Drawing anymore than 2/3 diagrams is a waste of time as there's no need. Make sure to define, make your point and explain it then draw a diagram and explain what's occuring on the diagram linking it to your chain of analysis, provide positives and negatives then evaluate for every paragraph. For the data response questions on AQA you have to define, pick 2 key pieces of information from the extract then apply it to theory (chains of analysis), it's not about how many things you can identify from the data given but rather picking specific data which you analyse and break down with economic theory.

Thanks mate :smile: I do CIE (international)

I’ve had 4 different economics teachers this year bc they kept leaving so I blame that too haha

Depends on your strength. If your verbal aptitude is better than your mathematical/spatial aptitude, it's easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending