Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello chaps, I am considering joining the Army after University, and was wondering if you have any information on Undergraduate Bursaries and levels of competition (Money not required, but would be rather useful). Also, what do you think of the following regiments and how tough is competition?

The King's Royal Hussars
    Blues & Royals
    9th/12th Lancers (Prince of Wales's)

Regards,
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    I dont have much knowledge of your situation, but before you apply as an officer, you should at least request an information package.

I reccomend before you apply that you be physically ready for the test they will be giving you. Can you do 30 push ups? 40 situps? 10 chin ups? Run 2.4 km in under 12 minutes?

Also, the selection process is a bit tough. You are competing with former NCM, cadets, ect.

As for those regiments you listed, call them and ask info.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a look on their careers website? http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/index.htm

There's also a link to an online careers chatroom where you can ask serving personnel questions, so that might be a good place to ask anything specific

ReputationRep:
    Chris,
    Don't call the regiments.
    Speak to your Army Liasion Officer. He will put you in touch with the appropriate people.
    KRH - Of those I met, I had a poor opinion.
    9/12 - No knowledge.
    Blues and Royals - posh as you like but top blokes. Support 16 AAB too so you'd have to do P Company.
    I commissioned in 2001, but have since left and am at Uni ding a 2nd degree - no regrets though - had a fantastic time!! I am fairley current though!
    Oh - and what do you really want to do in the Army as there are so many opportunities - I was a Sapper Officer.....

PM me for more in depth info!

TS
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The King's Royal Hussars

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Blues & Royals

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    The King's Royal Hussars

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Blues & Royals

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

I'd go for the one Sharpe was in! His boys could get off 3 rounds a minute - some of them even managed 4! Prince of Wales' wasn't it?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Join the OTC mate. You do it while you are at university and they recruit in September. Also, 90% of officers going through sandhurst are graduates now and most of those come from OTCs across the country. It will give you a better look into Army life. I don't know anything about those regiments but the army officers I do know are all top guys. The level of competition varies with each trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Join the OTC mate. You do it while you are at university and they recruit in September. Also, 90% of officers going through sandhurst are graduates now and most of those come from OTCs across the country. It will give you a better look into Army life. I don't know anything about those regiments but the army officers I do know are all top guys. The level of competition varies with each trade.

Do you know everyone in the army, navy and RAF?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    Do you know everyone in the army, navy and RAF?
    no, I just stay on an army base 4 days a week

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am going to go to University anyway, and would like an Undergraduate bursary. How competitve are the Blues and Royals? I am also rather interested in the Royal Dragoon Guards... What does the Liason officer ask you? I am waiting to hear from one at the moment after having sent off a potential officer form.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by watkinc)
    Yes I am going to go to University anyway, and would like an Undergraduate bursary. How competitve are the Blues and Royals? I am also rather interested in the Royal Dragoon Guards... What does the Liason officer ask you? I am waiting to hear from one at the moment after having sent off a potential officer form.
    are you speaking about the sponsership to a regiment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watkinc)
    Hello chaps, I am considering joining the Army after University, and was wondering if you have any information on Undergraduate Bursaries and levels of competition (Money not required, but would be rather useful). Also, what do you think of the following regiments and how tough is competition?

The King's Royal Hussars
    Blues & Royals

Regards,
    Chris
    out of interest, why are you considering the blues and royals and not the life guards? they're practically the same, aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the Uniform. Blue suits me better than red.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirts)
    I'd go for the one Sharpe was in! His boys could get off 3 rounds a minute - some of them even managed 4! Prince of Wales' wasn't it?
    Sharpe was in the Essex as an infantryman but joined the Rifles after returning from India in 1805.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Sharpe was in the Essex as an infantryman but joined the Rifles after returning from India in 1805.

I never read the books, but watched the series. Good story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    The King's Royal Hussars

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Blues & Royals

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

Bit cabbagey and blunt.

A little stereotyped image wouldn't you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tele-skier)
    Chris,
    Don't call the regiments.
    Speak to your Army Liasion Officer. He will put you in touch with the appropriate people.
    KRH - Of those I met, I had a poor opinion.
    9/12 - No knowledge.
    Blues and Royals - posh as you like but top blokes. Support 16 AAB too so you'd have to do P Company.
    I commissioned in 2001, but have since left and am at Uni ding a 2nd degree - no regrets though - had a fantastic time!! I am fairley current though!
    Oh - and what do you really want to do in the Army as there are so many opportunities - I was a Sapper Officer.....

PM me for more in depth info!

TS
    I worked with both 9/12 Lancers and RDG a few years ago when they were armoured. Both units were, in my opinion, professional to the nth degree. Both are a good bunch of lads who know how to work and play hard.

As far as I'm aware RDG are still armoured with Challenger 2 in Munster, and 9/12 are in Hohne fulfilling a recce role.

Be aware that whatever regiment you intend joining, they can be re-roled in the blink of an eye depending on the situational requirement and the imminent shake-up of the Army.

As for HCR supporting 16 Air Asslt Bde, this is true, but it not a prerequisite that you completem, or even attempt P Company (although it is activeley encouraged in most units... some more actively than others!)

If you want more info, just PM me and I'll find out what I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    I never read the books, but watched the series. Good story.
    I've read them all. The early ones were best; Sharpe's Gold, Sharpe's Rifles, Sharpe's Company, Sharpe's Waterloo etc. Unputdownable. I just read Sharpe's Trafalgar. Excellent.

I think Bernard Cornwall, Sharpe's creator and author of the stories lost it a bit when he "flashed back" to India during Sharpe's early career though. They weren't as good IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I've read them all. The early ones were best; Sharpe's Gold, Sharpe's Rifles, Sharpe's Company, Sharpe's Waterloo etc. Unputdownable. I just read Sharpe's Trafalgar. Excellent.

I think Bernard Cornwall, Sharpe's creator and author of the stories lost it a bit when he "flashed back" to India during Sharpe's early career though. They weren't as good IMO.

Ya i agree, some of the movies in the series got pretty corny. I remember one having to do with something about magic.

Shawn Bean did a great job though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.