The Student Room Group

AMA-Electrical and Electronics Engineering Final year Student (Cardiff Uni)

Hi all!
I am a final-year student in the course mentioned in the title at Cardiff University. New to this forum, and would like to help out students in A-levels and even those who are in uni if they have any questions. Decided to put out this AMA post as I noticed it to be quite common xD. Feel free to ask me anything :smile:
Reply 1
I've been researching engineering lately gotten confused about what the different types actually do. What do electrical engineers actually do?
Reply 2
Original post by Amb/conf
I've been researching engineering lately gotten confused about what the different types actually do. What do electrical engineers actually do?

So if we strictly talk about electrical engineers then broadly speaking they usually have roles that have something to do with the power grids. The transmission and distribution of electricity. There is also a major focus on fault detection and prevention as obviously when you are dealing with power grids you won't want a failure at any point.
My current final year project is actually on making the distribution network DC as currently AC is widely used for distribution. This project also includes Renewable integration to grids. (basically reducing reliance on coal and other harmful sources of energy and move towards decarbonisation and net zero goals)
So this is the kind of things broadly which electrical engineers work on.
The main thing to know is that there is three tiers to electricity: low medium and high.
Electronics engineers use low voltage(up to 1kV) and electrical engineers work with high voltage(>1kV).
Just recently I had a visit to a 275kV substation which was really cool xD
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3

Electrical engineers also work in renewable energy generation, transmission and distribution so if renewable energy is something that you find interesting then being an electrical engineer you would have a lot of opportunities to work on them.
Reply 4

A few topics that you can search for general reading are:
NetZero
Decarbonisation
Renewable energy
Electricity transmission and distribution difference
You can also look into what the companies that work in the electrical sector for example NationalGrid and read more articles related to what work they do.

Quick Reply