The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Residential Parking questions

Hi! Thinking about moving to Sheffield accommodation (Endcliffe) from Cardiff (about 3.5hrs away) and I will be bringing my car with me so I can visit home a lot easier, but I have a few questions about the parking permit:

1) Do I HAVE to get a permit or are there a lot of free spaces nearby that I could use?

2) If I need a permit, when should I apply? Can I apply for it at home or do I need to apply after moving to Sheffield (the website says something about connecting to the university VPN to apply)?

My parents are a bit nervous about whether I'd be able to get a permit so just needed to clarify a few things. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply 1
I watched a Sheffield uni accom session a couple days ago and they mentioned that they recommend to not bring cars since it would be easier to go to campus, city centre etc by bus, tram, walking rather than driving. However, if you do, I remember them saying that you would apply for a permit after your accom places are all sorted and organised.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by studentmmz
I watched a Sheffield uni accom session a couple days ago and they mentioned that they recommend to not bring cars since it would be easier to go to campus, city centre etc by bus, tram, walking rather than driving. However, if you do, I remember them saying that you would apply for a permit after your accom places are all sorted and organised.

Ah okay thanks! I'll wait until accom is all sorted :smile:
Original post by alyssaisthebest
Hi! Thinking about moving to Sheffield accommodation (Endcliffe) from Cardiff (about 3.5hrs away) and I will be bringing my car with me so I can visit home a lot easier, but I have a few questions about the parking permit:

1) Do I HAVE to get a permit or are there a lot of free spaces nearby that I could use?

2) If I need a permit, when should I apply? Can I apply for it at home or do I need to apply after moving to Sheffield (the website says something about connecting to the university VPN to apply)?

My parents are a bit nervous about whether I'd be able to get a permit so just needed to clarify a few things. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi,

Im Georgia a 4th year student. I drive into campus everyday so i have a very good knowledge of anything parking related. If you are staying in Endcliffe your best option would be to get a parking permit. I had one in my first year and i believe i paid £150 for the year, although that price may have changed now.

This is by far the best thing to do as most roads around the accommodation are 2 hour max stay, it is super difficult to get a free spot. There are also 2 major hospitals on the same road as the student village so any free spots are usually gone by 8am. However there is ample parking in Endcliffe with your permit.

You do have to be connected to the university's VPN to apply for a permit, which essentially means you have to be a registered student. So you may have to wait until you are all sorted before you start the permit process. If you have any issues i would email [email protected]. I would imagine they have a process for arriving students which would allow you to park at your accom whilst sorting your permit.

In terms of if you need to bring your car, you most likely wont use it to get to/from campus and the city centre and they are most easily accessible by foot. However, it is super helpful to have if you are planning on working/ visiting home often, especially as trains can be very expensive/unreliable. It's also helpful if you may be working outside of the centre. For example many of my friends worked in retail in Meadowhall shopping centre which has free parking fro Staff so they found it much more convenient to do the 15 minute drive as opposed to the 45 minute public transport option.

I hope thats helpful, let me know if you have any other questions.
Georgia :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

Im Georgia a 4th year student. I drive into campus everyday so i have a very good knowledge of anything parking related. If you are staying in Endcliffe your best option would be to get a parking permit. I had one in my first year and i believe i paid £150 for the year, although that price may have changed now.

This is by far the best thing to do as most roads around the accommodation are 2 hour max stay, it is super difficult to get a free spot. There are also 2 major hospitals on the same road as the student village so any free spots are usually gone by 8am. However there is ample parking in Endcliffe with your permit.

You do have to be connected to the university's VPN to apply for a permit, which essentially means you have to be a registered student. So you may have to wait until you are all sorted before you start the permit process. If you have any issues i would email [email protected]. I would imagine they have a process for arriving students which would allow you to park at your accom whilst sorting your permit.

In terms of if you need to bring your car, you most likely wont use it to get to/from campus and the city centre and they are most easily accessible by foot. However, it is super helpful to have if you are planning on working/ visiting home often, especially as trains can be very expensive/unreliable. It's also helpful if you may be working outside of the centre. For example many of my friends worked in retail in Meadowhall shopping centre which has free parking fro Staff so they found it much more convenient to do the 15 minute drive as opposed to the 45 minute public transport option.

I hope thats helpful, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi! do you know if city accommodation has parking as well, or is it just ranmoor and endcliffe?
Original post by isla21!
Hi! do you know if city accommodation has parking as well, or is it just ranmoor and endcliffe?

I’ve read that parking by city is suuuperrr hard to get bcuz they don’t have car parks or anything & it’s like pay & display but i’m not 100%

(on the website though it says city accom has no parking at all)
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by isla21!

Hi!

There is no specific city parking. You can apply for a 'pay as you go' permit to park in several university car parks dotted around the centre however this can end up being super expensive as it is roughly £40 a month, compared to only £130 for the year up at ranmoor/endcliffe. This would really be the only option for permanent parking in the city centre as council owned car parks/street parking are usually max stay of a few hours.

My advice would be if you are staying in city accommodation i would re-think bringing your car with you. You could keep your car at endcliffe whilst you are living in the city, but this means you would always be at least a 20 minute walk away from your car. This might be visible if you plan on going home recently, but depending on train price etc. it would perhaps be wise to leave your car at home if you are living in the city.

Please let me know if i can be of any further help!
Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest